Is there an app for that?Is that a rhetorical question
You have your choice of apps to use with the GPX files that Adventure Cycling publishes. Try the following:
- Install the app on your device. For iPhone try EasyTrails GPS, & for Android try Locus Pro.
- Download the GPS file for the route you plan to tour.
- The file you download is compressed. You can open the file in either of the two apps listed in step #1 above directly from your phone. For other apps, the steps may be different.
- Alternatively, expand that file from step #2 on your desktop computer. You will now have several files. Please read the instructions file carefully to learn about these files. You will also find files with "GPX" extension. Copy those GPX files to your phone using your favorite document management app, such as Dropbox.
- Open the app on your phone to display any of the GPS tracks you downloaded in step #2 above.
- Use those tracks for general navigation guidance only to confirm your location and travel direction. Paper maps + addenda are best for route navigation.
They are working on upgrading the data format & offering. An effort started earlier this year with the Northern Tier.