I have only done one coast to coast trip ( 08) and 5 of the 10 weeks on the road we followed ACA Northern Tier and Lake Connector routes. I found ACA routes to be excellent 90% of the time and the other 10% there were no other choices available. ACA looks for the least travelled roads for their routes. We were delighted with their choices for the NT route to Glacier. The other 5 weeks of the trip we routed ourselves using all of the following: State/ County Bike Maps showing traffic density and shoulder availability; advise from area Cycle Clubs via E-mails; advise from ACA Forum and CGOAB touring cyclist; and occasionally on-site advise from locals. ACA and CGOAB riders via the Forums are an excellent resource if you let people know your general destinations.