I've actually realized now what I really want is not the waypoint data but instead track data which is made available here:Good choice. Tracks are the way to go.
Where are you storing the files on your eTrex device?
I just downloaded both files, copied them onto my eTrex under the folder /GARMIN/GPX. They loaded fine:
- Turn on the device after you copy the files
- Select Where To
- Select Tracks
- These two files should be there.
- Neither track has a name in the file. They will both appear as "Track" on the device. Take a guess which is which.
- There appears to be a large discrepancy between the files. One shows a distance of 1,030km while the other of 4,338km.
- The two tracks show different outline on the map preview.
- The web site calls one of the tracks as "official". The only official data I know of is on the Adventure Cycling Association web site.