I downloaded waypoints for the route from topofusion.com but have not put them on the unit yet.What is the download link? Where did you find the route on that web site?
How do I install waypoints so I can then follow the route?I am not aware of a track for the GDMBR that follows the route exactly. There is a compilation of route points in a very low resolution. They will give you general guidance about the route, but not exact directions.
Your most reliable source will be from the paper maps. You can then supplement the maps with the GPS location.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Navigate to Route GPS Waypoints page
- Download the file for Great Divide Mountain Bike Route
- Open the file to find a number of GPX files in GD_Routes folder
- Copy the files to your eTrex 20 unit to store in /Garmin/GPX folder
- The files contain each point twice as route point & as waypoint. There are 1,590 waypoints in the GPX files. They will quickly consume the 2,000 waypoint memory from your device, in case you need it to store points of interest & services. It may be best to remove these waypoints in BaseCamp or manually.
- There is a chance that your unit may decide to recalculate the route based on its internal map. The result will not be the same as the intended route. You can remove maps from the unit to avoid such problem. Be sure to regularly validate the GPS display against the paper maps.
Also, does it matter which direction I ride in?Yes. You must reverse the route, as needed, using BaseCamp or other tools.