Author Topic: Number of Cycle Tourists on the Southern Tier?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline staehpj1

Number of Cycle Tourists on the Southern Tier?
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:25:25 pm »
I am starting Feb 11 in San Diego and wonder how many other tourists I am likely to meet and possibly camp with?  I have done one trip where I stayed with other tourists pretty much every night (Pacific Coast), one where I met and stayed with others fairly often (Trans America), and some other trips where I rarely or never met another touring cyclist.

My preference runs toward meeting others along the way.  How frequently is that likely to happen given my planned start date and direction of travel?

Offline nthabiseng

Re: Number of Cycle Tourists on the Southern Tier?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:26:48 pm »
That's the exact time we left San Diego this year, and I haven't gone back to take an actual count, but I'd have to say it's not very often, especially if you mean people going in the same direction.  Then again we used warmshowers half the nights, so we might have missed cyclists already at a campground.  Feel free to check out our journal and you might get some feel for the number of cyclists we encountered.   http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/myfinecycle  And btw, I thought that timing was almost perfect, just a tad too early for Emory Pass.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:57:48 pm by Fred Hiltz »

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 04:05:55 am »
Hi I only met around 4 starting in March.  But then I did wander off the ACA routes a bit.
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:04:10 am »
Thanks guys.

nthabiseng, I will check out the journal again (I am pretty sure I skimmed it in the recent past).  You may be correct about missing other tourists by staying with hosts.  I know that on the Pacific Coast I stayed with as many as 15 people on at least one occasion, but almost never saw any other tourists going the same direction while riding.

Glad to hear the timing was good except for Emory Pass.

Offline BikeFreak

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:47:30 pm »
Hi,

April 2009 I did the Southern Tier from FL to AZ on a motorcycle. I was 2 weeks on the road and followed the Adventure Cycling maps all the way. I was on the road from dusk till dawn and had no rest days.

I met no cyclists going E-W. I passed/met less than 10 cyclists going W-E. The weather was nice and I was quite puzzled seeing so few cyclists. I met all cyclists in the region between AZ and Eastern TX.

Lucas

Offline golferdevo3

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 09:20:05 am »
I'm headed west on the Southern Tier starting right around January 10th so I'll pass you somewhere along the way!

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:53:27 am »
I'm headed west on the Southern Tier starting right around January 10th so I'll pass you somewhere along the way!
Definitely flag me down and say "Hi".  It is aways nice to meet and compare notes with someone who has just been where you are going and vice versa.

Offline nthabiseng

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 12:35:02 pm »
When you check out my journal,look at the 'by the numbers' page near the end.  I think I put something there about number of cyclists we met...

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 12:47:53 pm »
When you check out my journal,look at the 'by the numbers' page near the end.  I think I put something there about number of cyclists we met...
Yes I had found that.  Most helpful, thanks.