Bicycle Travel > Connecting ACA Routes

Southern Tier to NYC

(1/2) > >>

dreitman:
I would like to hear comments/proposals riding San Diego to NY
ST to Las Cruces, NM
US 54 to Kansas, pick up Trans America
Trans America to Cave in Rock, KY, thence Underground Railway to Cincinnati
Leaving Cinti, pick up US 50 to Winchester, VA, thence US11 to Chambersburg, US 30 to Philly/Trenton, rt 27 in NJ to NY
(obvious skipping some connecting roads for brevity)

John Nettles:
What time of year are you doing this? You will need to go a good job of balancing ST heat and TX/OK/KS spring storms.  You might following Route 66 loosely once you get to I-40 and around Tulsa connect up to Girard, KS and the ACA route.  You would have more services, more scenery variety, and less traffic.  I am in Oklahoma so if you need some help here, send me a private email.

indyfabz:

--- Quote from: dreitman on November 29, 2011, 06:51:39 pm ---US 30 to Philly/Trenton, rt 27 in NJ to NY
(obvious skipping some connecting roads for brevity)
--- End quote ---

1.  What sort of life insurance do you have? A portion of U.S. 30 around York, PA heading east through Lancaster is a multi-lane, limited access highway with intense traffic. It them narrows down to two lanes but still carries heavy traffic depsite the fact that there are various stages of by-pass expressway.  The riding would pretty much suck big time from at least York all the way to the Philadelphia city line, where U.S. 30 becomes a city street (Lancaster Ave.) with a bike lane in places. U.S. 30 eventually  combines with I-76 and then I-676 before crossing into NJ. Both roads are off limtis to bikes. (You can cross into NJ on the pedestrian/bike path of the Ben Franklin Bridge.)  I suggest taking a look at the PA bike route maps. Being familiar with the area, some of the roads are not the greatest, but they beat the hell out of U.S. 30 in that part of the state.

2. How do you plan to get to Trenton from Philadelphia?

3. SR 27 in NJ looks like it would be no fun at all from a traffic and scenery perspective. Some of the most densley populated real estate in the most densley populated state in the nation.  I have an cool route from Lambertville, NJ to Hoboken, NJ (ferry to NYC) if you are interested, but it can only be ridden on a weekend, and there is no camping.

4.  What is your ultimate destination?  If NYC itself, note that the only way you can actually ride a bike into NYC from the east is the GW Bridge. There are, however, rail options.

dreitman:
1.  Yes I plan to check PA bike routes.  My route is a generalization on actual route I plan to take.  I am not concerned too much about traffic, as I bike around NYC. 

2.  I will be riding north of Philadelphia, paralleling US1.  Just north of 1 is a local road that crosses the Delaware River into Trenton.

3. I have cycled Rt 27 before, and am aware of the traffic.  After 3000 miles I will just be glad on getting home.  But if you want to share your info on rte Lambrtville/Hoboken, please do.

4. I plan to hitch a ride over Outerbridge Crossing to Staten Island, thence ferry to Manhattan, ultimately riding north to New Rochelle, NY.  GW Bridge would be my second option.

Again, thanks for your input.

indyfabz:
Remembered that the cue sheet for the Brooklyn Ride that goes through Hoboken is on line:
http://phillybikeclub.org/newbcp/doc/rides/NH-NY_Cue_90_09-04-11(old).pdf

It actually starts in New Hope, PA and quickly crosses into Lambertville, NJ.  (You can get to New Hope following AC’s Atlantic Coast route from the trail mentioned below.)  If you were to ride this on a weekday you would be taking your life into your own hands riding through the port (McLester, Lyle King, Corbin St.) and on into Jersey City by Doremus and U.S. 1 & 9 Truck.  But maybe you can modify it to avoid that area.  If you do get to Hoboken on a weekday, you need not go to the ferry terminal on 14th St. During weekdays the ferries sail from the NJT train station, which you ride past. It was built in the 30s and has been nicely restored. Worth a look.

Any tolerance for riding in traffic notwithstanding, I really would avoid U.S. 30 in the neck of the woods mentioned for safety (and scenery) reasons. While not ideal in places, PA Bike Route S takes you to the Schuylkill River Trail, which will take you into Philadelphia. The route from the end of the trail to the center of the city is not a bad one, and it’s very popular with cyclists. I can give you a better alternative to a portion of Route S in Lancaster County that that spends a little less time on PA 23, which has heavy traffic at times and has a narrow shoulder. The alternative spends a little more time in the Conestoga Valley (Amish territory) just to the north of the highway. Route S also passes near French Creek State Park, where there is camping. From there, it’s a relatively easy ride to the trail and then mostly flat into downtown. The route into town also gives you the option of climbing the infamous “Mannayunk Wall” that was once used in the U.S. championship race and is still used in a big one day race in the city.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version