Author Topic: Late start to ST  (Read 3115 times)

Offline John Nettles

Re: Late start to ST
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 02:38:55 pm »
I would echo what others have said in that if you are flexible on routing, you might consider a South to North route (Pacific Coast, UGRR, Atlantic Coast, Mississippi River Trail, Sierra Cascades, your own personal, etc.).  I have ridden South to North routes 4 times and they usually take 6-8 weeks with moderate mileage.

All of these are border to border but just shorter so not near as much balancing required.  Doing a road-based version of the Great Divide would also be doable and quite nice.  Being at altitude, you certainly would miss the heat and as you go further north, would get more daylight.

If you do a summertime ST, your body will get used to the heat, even the high 90s, but the humidity in the southeast would be a pain I would think.

No matter which route you choose, have a great time.

And thanks for your service to our country!
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline MrBent

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 08:40:31 am »
Lots of good input here.  What route/time you choose will depend on the kind of tour you want to have.  The Southern Tier at the time of year you're considering is certainly possible, but I think there is little doubt it will be a huge suffer-fest.  As may have been noted, early starts are great, but I'd want to be going east to west to have the sun rise at my back.  This is a lot safer for over-taking traffic.  If you do go on the ST, I'd gun for motels/hotels with A/C whenever possible to have the opportunity to cool off and recover.

Have a great adventure.

Scott

Offline solsrch

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 03:40:34 pm »
Lots of thoughtful inputs, I appreciate them all.  This next week I'll map out approximate waypoints and look average/record highs and lows for the time I'd be passing through.  There is a possibility of moving departure up by about a week, and while that isn't a lot, I'll also look at those dates to see if it makes a difference. 

Assuming I stick with this, I'll definitely plan to use motels as frequently as possible for the A/C and showers, so I can get some real rest. 

I hadn't thought about the motorist and their vision when choosing to start in San Diego.  My intent was to get through the worst of the desert heat in May, when I'm pretty sure there will be sizable windows where the riding temps will be reasonable.  I'd rather end in SD since it is my adopted home and I know that area and have friends/relatives there.  I may look at the temps in reverse to see if the heat would be less of an issue than I expect.

I want to do a N/S run, preferably the pacific coast, but kind of have my heart set on the horizontal run this time.  Besides, my understanding was it was best to stay off the pacific coast route from Memorial Day through the rest of the summer due to traffic.

Thanks again.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 04:09:49 pm »
Besides, my understanding was it was best to stay off the pacific coast route from Memorial Day through the rest of the summer due to traffic.
I think that puts it a little strongly.  Lots of folks do the Pacific Coast in the Summer.  I have ridden a bit of the coast in Summer, but when I did a Pacific Coast tour it was in September.  That said if June, July, or August were my only choice I would do a Pacific Coast then.  I flat out would not do the ST in Summer myself.

I wish you a great tour, but it isn't one I would choose myself at that time of year.  Keep us posted.

Offline solsrch

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 08:48:43 pm »
I'll let folks know whatever my final decision is and then you keep you posted on progress.  I can't wait to get started.

Offline solsrch

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 02:45:07 pm »
We've been able to make some adjustments.  We moved the start date up to 13 May and now it looks like we may be able to start one week earlier, departing San Diego on 06 May.  I know we'll still have to deal with the heat, but I'm hoping that this earlier start (with a projected finish by June 20th) will help mitigate the worst of it.

Now if I can just get rid of these wrist issues by adjusting my handlebar and decide on Schwalbe Marathon + versus Supremes, I'll be all set.