Author Topic: Touring Israel  (Read 1277 times)

Offline PdxTyler

Touring Israel
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:24:08 pm »
Hi All,
I'm looking for any info or experiences touring Israel. Any info is appreciated, maps resources, route, experiences that you'd care to share, etc...

Thanks

Offline tonythomson

Re: Touring Israel
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 01:32:42 pm »
Hi it was some time ago that I toured Israel but I don't think it has changed that much.  Really need to plan carefully where you are going to stop over night as wild camping was not appreciated and I had to break camp in the middle of the night when he police caught me.  Also as many of the occupant live in kibbutz's there are few small towns to buy provisions from.  It can be done and I loved it even cycling through Gaza strip twice in and out of Egypt.

Good luck
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline PdxTyler

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 04:16:29 am »
thanks Tony!

Offline raybo

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:57:09 am »
This page has 2 links to information about bike touring in Israel.

One has suggested routes, the other is a thread about planning a bike tour there.
Visit the on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 11:17:25 am »
Mountain biking is very popular in Israel. Road biking ... less so. When you say you ride a bicycle, almost everyone is going to assume you mean off-road. Bike shops catering to road bikes are less common. I found the roads there tolerable, but not especially friendly to road cyclists. Choose your route carefully.

Offline IanGor

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:26:25 pm »
Does anyone know if the walking path which I understand runs the length of Israel if this can also be cycled.