Author Topic: Brooks saddle dye.  (Read 2511 times)

Offline MarkM

Brooks saddle dye.
« on: December 26, 2011, 10:23:58 am »
I'm breaking in a Brooks B17 saddle that is black color. Can anyone recommend a way to rid the saddle of the excess dye so my butt isnt black every time I ride. Riding with black bike shorts only is OK for now but won't be this summer when I travel long distance.

Mark

Offline John Nelson

Re: Brooks saddle dye.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:44:00 am »
Sorry, I have no suggestions about the dye. I assume you find black shorts too hot in the summer? I've ridden in some pretty beastly hot conditions, but I've never found that my black shorts contribute to the problem. All my bike shorts are black.

With luck, your saddle will stop bleeding before next summer. Ride it lots before then.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 07:26:52 pm »
My black B-17 hit 5 years old and 15,000 miles last spring, and it was only in the summer I noticed the dye is thinning on part of it.  I wouldn't try white gym shorts, but I've never noticed any bleed over any of my colored bike shorts (dark blue, light blue, or green).  What are you planning on wearing when it gets hot?

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:13:35 am »
First, contact Brooks; surely they will have a definitive recommendation for you.
Second, saddle soap or any top notch leather preservation and cleaning product should help.

I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline BikeFreak

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:29:02 am »
I've ridden in some pretty beastly hot conditions, but I've never found that my black shorts contribute to the problem. All my bike shorts are black.
My words also.

Lucas

Offline MarkM

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 06:42:33 pm »
My black shorts don't contribute to the problem. I wear them because the dye doesnt show on them. I notice the dye bleeding when I rode with lighter colored shorts. I've treated the seat with the brooks saddle conditioner but the dye still comes off when I wipe the seat with a towel. Also, I have emailed Brooks and got no reply although I will try again.  Lately, I've soaked the saddle in hot water several times. That seems to be bringing out some of the dye. I guess I'll keep doing that until the bleeding stops.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Mark

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 07:05:16 pm »
Lately, I've soaked the saddle in hot water several times. That seems to be bringing out some of the dye. I guess I'll keep doing that until the bleeding stops.
I do everything I can to keep my saddle dry. I think you are taking the risk of ruining your new saddle.

Offline DanE

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 03:39:04 am »
I think you are seeing why black became the predominant color of shorts as the black dye in leather saddles does tend to bleed out. The brown saddles do not have the same severity of this problem, but you have already made your purchase.

Offline tksleeper

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 06:08:45 pm »
I'm curious if you have had an issue or just worried about an issue.  I ride in Tan North Face shorts and convertible pants all the time and have yet to see discoloration due to my black or honey Brooks Saddles.  I am not implying that is doesn't happy as I'm sure it does in many cases. Just hasn't happened to me.  (thank goodness)   ;D

Good Luck
Kelly

Offline Ailish

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 06:44:42 pm »
Most of my cycling shorts are black, but I have some in dark magenta, as well, and I've seen no discolouration of them from my black B17.

I wouldn't soak my saddle in water, either, but tastes and experiences differ.