Author Topic: Dipping the tire in Florence Oregon.  (Read 1139 times)

Offline MarkM

Dipping the tire in Florence Oregon.
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:00:42 pm »
Does anyone know the exact beach location in Florence Oregon for dipping the rear tire to start the Trans America ride?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline JMilyko

Re: Dipping the tire in Florence Oregon.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:17:30 am »
Our suggested wheel dipping spot -- as recommended by a tour leader if I recall correctly -- is Harbor Vista Park at 87658 Harbor Vista Rd.

Have a great ride!

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Online staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:23:00 am »
Our suggested wheel dipping spot -- as recommended by a tour leader if I recall correctly -- is Harbor Vista Park at 87658 Harbor Vista Rd.
That looked like the best one in Florence when we looked into it for our 2007 tour.  We were riding down from Newport so we used a different, but similar spot north of there.  I think our wheel dip spot might have been Carl G Washburn Memorial Park.

Do be aware that it is a few miles out of the way and that you probably have to cross a good bit of loose sand to get to the water.  We wound up getting our drive trains full of sand and wasted an hour rectifying that.  I am not sure it was worth the hassle.  If I were doing it over I might have just carried a wheel to the water rather than drag the bikes through the deep sand.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:40:18 am »
I advocate changing the wheel-dip tradition to a toe-dip tradition. So much easier to do, and you won't have to wash your bike afterwards.

Offline yumadons

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:55:26 pm »
As of Aug 2011, if you take a left into the Harbor Vista Park entrance, the park is way high above the ocean, no wheel dip. There are stairs you can walk down but you couldn't bring your bike.  If instead of turning in to the park, you continue to the end of the road, there is a big parking lot for the jetty. From there you *could* take off the panniers and push / carry thru ~ 1/4 mile of sand DUNES to dip your wheels but there's nowhere to leave your stuff safe while you do this. No dip for us  8-)

Suzanne
TransAm 2011
http://bicyclelife.topicwise.com/doc/yumadons1

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:47:27 am »
As of Aug 2011, if you take a left into the Harbor Vista Park entrance, the park is way high above the ocean, no wheel dip. There are stairs you can walk down but you couldn't bring your bike.  If instead of turning in to the park, you continue to the end of the road, there is a big parking lot for the jetty. From there you *could* take off the panniers and push / carry thru ~ 1/4 mile of sand DUNES to dip your wheels but there's nowhere to leave your stuff safe while you do this. No dip for us  8-)

Suzanne
TransAm 2011
http://bicyclelife.topicwise.com/doc/yumadons1

Good to know! Thanks for the updated information. I'll have that changed at map reprint.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline litespeed

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 11:29:38 am »
There is a campground where I stayed right in town with a boat ramp right next door. I forget exactly where it is - on the south end of town as I recall. Anyway, the boat ramp would certainly do for a wheel dip although it's on a river or inlet - not on the open ocean.