Author Topic: transam  (Read 2550 times)

Offline gchikes

transam
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:32:27 am »
Hope to start april15th or? east to west and motel to motel
any advice would be welcome. email gchikes@roadrunner.com
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:35:54 am by gchikes »

Offline Pat Lamb

Re: transam
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 10:07:52 am »
1.  May be a bit early start, take cool weather and rain gear.

1a.  Mail stuff home when you don't need it.

2.  When the maps note the distance between services, take an extra half gallon of water.

3.  Starting around central Colorado (Silverthorne), towns and lodging thin out.  Make motel reservations at least 3-4 days in advance for the weekend.

3a.  Have a work-around plan in case you can't get in to motels in the Tetons and Yellowstone.

4.  Have fun!

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:41:04 am »
If you plan to have indoor logding in any National Parks, make reservations now (if you can get them). This will, of course, tie your schedule to fixed dates there, but it would be a shame to have to blow through Yellowstone quickly.

The TransAm by motel was done last summer by a couple. Their journal is a tremendous resource for anybody who wants to do the same. They name the motels they used, their prices and their contact information.

http://bicyclelife.topicwise.com/doc/Yumadons1

There's also a book with a lot of motel resources listed. The information is 10 years old now, so I wouldn't trust it without double-checking. I do own this book, but I found it of limited use unless you need to motel references, so I don't really recommend it for campers.

Stephanie Ager Kirz, Bicycling the TransAm Trail: Virginia to Oregon/Washington, 2nd Edition, White Dog Press Ltd., 2003, ISBN 978-0974102719.

Here's my two pieces of advice for using motels. (1) Don't watch the TV, and (2) Spend as little time in your room as possible--mingling with the locals is one of the best parts of the trip and you don't want to isolate yourself from it.

Offline webm8

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:22:29 am »
Hey there, yes that is a amazing blog.  For my own trip this year, i have taken the lodging information out of each page and put it on one easy to read version

http://webm8transamerica.blogspot.com/2012/01/next-list-of-b-hotelsmotels-recommended.html

Offline MarkM

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:22:55 pm »
I was in Yorktown Va. the first week of May 2011. There was several small groups and a couple solo riders heading west during the first couple days that week. Seemed like a great time to go East to West. I wouldn't start at the west coast before June 1st. Even then McKenzie Pass may still be closed.

Mark

Offline oliver69

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:01:17 pm »
I started my TransAm/Western Express tour in Yorktown on April 17th 2011. Looking back, the timing had been perfect:
Spring in Virginia was awesome, humidity not an issue; had 2 or 3 cold / rainy days in Kentucky but otherwise the weather was just nice, neither too cold nor too hot - especially if you consider the extreme heat that hit the plains a couple of weeks later.

However, I was really glad that I had decided to take the Western Express, as the weather in the northern rockies may not be as comfy when you start that early (see, for example http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=8050&v=VC). If you like riding in shorts, you may want to change your plan (besides, I was told that arriving in Astoria is kind of underwhelming -- compare that to San Francisco. And Utah/Nevada is georgeous!).

Motel hopping (I did that, too) shouldn't be a problem, I had no trouble finding a room although I did not bother making reservations most of the time (NPs will be different issue).

BUT: even if you plan to stay in motels all the time, I would still recommend to bring a (small, lightweight) tent and a sleeping bag.

Oliver     

Offline Miller

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 06:55:34 pm »
Oliver,

Did you encounter many westbound riders on the TransAm with the early start? 

Offline jimbo

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 09:41:14 pm »
Hey Webm8;  Your idea to put up a cut and paste list of other peoples blogs that deal with places to stay on the TA is not a bad idea. 

BUT the blog you selected for Berea KY with it's reference to "homoshexules" was very poor judgement, and should I hope have no place on your cut and paste list, nor on the ACA Forum IMO.

Offline webm8

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 09:26:59 am »
Hi there.  Thanks, I did it mostly for myself to help plan my trip, as I have with interesting/nice places to eat.  Also places to avoid lol.

From reading his whole blog, I kinda thought the writer was gay anyway, I certainly didn't feel offended myself.  I think if you read the term in context ,I believe it was just a comment rather then a slur.  Maybe I'm wrong, the B&B info he supplied is helpful though.

Offline Artimas

• Day Tripper
  • Define the moment...or the moment will define you!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:13:45 pm »
I started on March 31 in 08 and didn't really have any problems but you definitely want to be outfitted for all types of weather.
Artimas

Offline yumadons

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:23 pm »
I added some stats to my  "W2E leisurely TranAm no camping" blog - first half from North Bend / Coos Bay, OR to Pueblo, CO. It's on the Intro page and the results are:

Mileage from North Bend to Pueblo: 2050m
Riding days: 47
Rest days: 8 (4 of these were veterinary convention)
Avg mileage per riding day: 43.6m
Longest day: 71m (two of these)
Avg motel cost inc. tax: $86 (includes 20 breakfasts & 3 hot spring passes)
Total motel cost for 56 nites: $4832
Total loaded weight of Don's panniers / rack trunk / handlebar bag: 16#
Total loaded weight of Suzanne's panniers / rack trunk / handlebar bag: 27#

http://Bicyclelife.topicwise.com/doc/yumadons1
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:04:54 pm by yumadons »