Author Topic: Eastbound route through South Dakota, Minnesota  (Read 1790 times)

Offline VeloVeg

Eastbound route through South Dakota, Minnesota
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:14:58 am »
Beginning early June I'll be riding from Astoria, OR to Bar Harbor, ME, by way of the Lewis & Clark to Missoula, then Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Bighorns, Black Hills, Upper Penninsula Michigan (North Lakes route), and the eastern portion of the Northern Tier route. South Dakota is new territory for me, so I'm looking for an eastbound route from the Black Hills through SD and Minnesota, with the idea of connecting with the North Lakes route at Osceola, WI (or some other point??). Scenic and interesting is more important than convenient and quick. Some dirt roads OK. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Ted

Offline karmelj

Re: Eastbound route through South Dakota, Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:36:10 pm »
I am embarking on a similar ride this summer (the only difference is that I end in NYC).  I posted a similar question a few months ago and someone very knidly posted a detailed route.
Here's the link:
http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/index.php?topic=10081.0

It looks to be a great ride!

Offline VeloVeg

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:32:27 pm »
Thanks karmelj for the link. Jamawani is a tremendous source of spot-on touring info. Looks like we're both in for a great summer!

I think including the Badlands is a great idea, but you will be heading SE from there (connecting to the L & C) and I'll need to head kind of ENE toward the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. So, any interesting routing through the rest of SD, MN and WI to connect to the North Lakes route and the UP MI would be great.

BTW, we'll be leaving early June from Astoria, OR on the L & C to Missoula, then go to Glacier for a couple days of hiking before heading down Hwy. 89 thru Great Falls and Yellowstone. Then Bighorns, Black Hills, etc. So, when are you leaving on the Northern Tier? Perhaps we'll cross paths at some point.

Many safe journeys,

Ted
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:51:38 pm by VeloVeg »

Offline jimbo

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 07:04:42 pm »
We did leave the Badlands and headed east; used # 44 through most of SD; hit a bit of Iowa; Southern MN into Lacrosse WI and then ENE to Manitowoc WI to catch the Ferry to Ludington MI and from there Lakes Connector into Canada; NY VT ME.

You can get the details here: http://www.fllt.org/blog/

Be sure to stop in Interior and Scenic.  I never found that route through southern SD boring. Corn and soybean fields in MN for a day or two did get boring, but that led us to the Spam Museum in Albert Lea MN..a must stop for a chuckle.

Enjoy your ride no matter the route and contact me if you have questions.

Offline VeloVeg

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:02:03 pm »
Thanks so much Jimbo. I've enjoyed reading from your trip blog. A good read.

Since I'm looking forward to the Upper Penninsula Michigan, I'm planning to head ENE from the Badlands through SD and probably cut north of the Twin Cities, enjoying a little bit more scenic portion of Minnesota. I'm sure I'll piece together a good route with fair skies and tailwinds!

Safe journeys,

Ted

Offline karmelj

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:22:02 pm »
We actually changed our route and will not be taking the L&C.  In fact we will also be connecting to northern lakes.  I found this website. http://www.rideacross.com/week5.html¬

Offline Rep

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 09:28:01 pm »
Beginning early June I'll be riding from Astoria, OR to Bar Harbor, ME, by way of the Lewis & Clark to Missoula, then Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Bighorns, Black Hills, Upper Penninsula Michigan (North Lakes route), and the eastern portion of the Northern Tier route. South Dakota is new territory for me, so I'm looking for an eastbound route from the Black Hills through SD and Minnesota, with the idea of connecting with the North Lakes route at Osceola, WI (or some other point??). Scenic and interesting is more important than convenient and quick. Some dirt roads OK. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Ted

Ted
I live in westcentral WI not far from Osceola, oh, 50 miles or so let's say.

I have a couple of friends who will be dropping me off in Rapid City, SD in September and I will be riding back home.  So, I have an interest in developing the same route you are as well.

I had contacted the South Dakota Dept of Transportation and talked to the person in charge of bicycling for the state.  This was a year or so ago and he did lay out a plan for me using the old hwy 12 which was replaced by I-90.  At some point I could angle off into MN, cross that state and into MN at Osceola.

I would recommend you do contact them and get some fresh information.  Then, as you plan your trip I would be more than happy to host a rest stop for you.  I also traveled into the UP a couple of years ago and could provide some tips as well.  Feel free to contact me via PM here and I will provide my phone number etc so we could talk.  Good luck in planning your trip and let me know if I can be of service.
Bicycling, Brewing & Backgammon...What a life.

Offline VeloVeg

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 04:02:17 pm »
Rep,

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I plan to contact the SD DOT. I'm gradually putting together a route across SD and MN. I want to wind north of the Twin Cities before connecting to the North Lakes route at Osceola--or some other point across WI. You can take a look at the proposed route thus far: ( http://www.bikewithamission.org/maps/portland-to-portland.html ). It's just an early draft, but gives the general direction we'll be riding. That should be late July or so in MN, WI.

Thank you for your offer to host a rest stop. Very generous of you. I'll be PMing you.

Many safe travels,

Ted

Offline Rep

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 10:07:26 pm »
Check your inbox Ted, as I supplied you with some information about how to contact me.

In looking at your WI leg, I am oh, 20 miles south of hwy 8.  When you cross the St. Croix at Osceola, rather than head north and west, to get to my place you would head directly east on back roads.  If it works out that I am able to host you I may simply ride over and I can guide your and your party to my farm.  We can discuss that as time passes.

I will also take a closer look at your map and maybe offer some advise if you do not mind.

Joe
Bicycling, Brewing & Backgammon...What a life.