Author Topic: I have an old Southern Tier map ...  (Read 813 times)

Offline BikeFreak

I have an old Southern Tier map ...
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:53:27 pm »
Summer 2000 I did the Northern Tier + Pacific Coast + 1st Section of Southern Tier.
Summer 2012 I will do the Transamerica Trail + Sierra Cascades + 1st Section of Southern Tier.

Reason for 1st section of Southern Tier is due to my departure airport in Pheonix, AZ.

3 months ago I ordered all the maps and had them shipped to Europe. Except for the 1st section Southern Tier: I had this map already of course.

Then a few days ago I realize the map is so old that no addendums exist online anymore.

The map is called  #BC-1710 99D

which indicates a print from 1999 I suppose.

Further researching I see that there is a heavy change of route on the first part leaving San Diego:

Whereas the new map closely follows I-8, the old map stays close to the border (HWY 94). Both routes rejoin in Boulevard, CA.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to get an addendum for such an old map?
2. What is the reason for changing the route? I remember the HWY 94 as being very quite and peaceful.

Lucas

Offline CMajernik

Re: I have an old Southern Tier map ...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:25:01 am »
Lucas:
No, it's not possible to get an addenda for a 1999 map version. We don't have them anymore. The Southern Tier route was changed after NAFTA was passed in the mid-1990s and many trucks began using Hwy. 94 between Mexico and the U.S., using the border crossing at Tecate and heading to San Diego and vice versa. We got quite a few reports of heavy truck traffic and the road was narrow and winding and without shoulders in many places. So we most likely changed the route on the version after 1999.
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline Ronn

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 02:47:36 pm »
+! on the ACA guy. i,ve old maps and the same thing you went thru. Buy updated maps. I,m glad i did :)

Offline BikeFreak

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 03:10:51 pm »
Thanks for your feedback.

Lucas