Author Topic: TransAmerica from DC, but I need to go east first.  (Read 3107 times)

Offline John Nettles

Re: TransAmerica from DC, but I need to go east first.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 12:56:34 am »
A quick search on Hertz.com (rental car) shows a one way rental from the Washington Hilton HLE (pretty close to Chevy Chase) to Newport News (close to Yorktown) is about $180 (less if you have a discount code of some type) for a smaller-sized SUV like a Toyota Rav4.  You can get by as little as $133 for a mid-sized sedan like a Toyota Corolla.   I frequently use one-way rentals getting to/from a trip as the cost for a bus/plane/train ticket plus the cost of bringing the gear is usually only about 10%-15% than renting.

My point is depending on how much you want to do an "official" coast to and save time, this might be a compromise for you.  It would take about 4 hours to drive there.

Can your friend in Chevy Chase just take you there if you pay the gas?  That would be best.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts and no matter what option you pick, I hope you have a great trip.
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline staehpj1

Re: TransAmerica from DC, but I need to go east first.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 07:22:23 am »
A quick search on Hertz.com (rental car) shows a one way rental from the Washington Hilton HLE (pretty close to Chevy Chase) to Newport News (close to Yorktown) is about $180 (less if you have a discount code of some type) for a smaller-sized SUV like a Toyota Rav4.  You can get by as little as $133 for a mid-sized sedan like a Toyota Corolla.   I frequently use one-way rentals getting to/from a trip as the cost for a bus/plane/train ticket plus the cost of bringing the gear is usually only about 10%-15% than renting.
Just a note on my experience renting cars...  Fir my limited sample set, I have found that showing up at the counter I am more often than not told they can't let any cars out on a one way rental.  When booking online I have never had this problem.