Author Topic: URGENT!!! UK RIDER in Wilmington looking for advice trending North.  (Read 1406 times)

Offline simplicity

Hi,

Had posted on here a few months ago, stating my intentions to tour the USA solo. Well, I flew into Charleston, SC on Weds and have been cycling North up 17 now for 3 days- 200 miles so far.

The fact of the matter is, I was discracefully underprepared for the trip, and have so far been working off Google maps to get to my current destination in Wilmington, NC. It has been exciting but scary nonetheless. I have seen the error of my ways and will now be buying the ACA Trans AM maps and getting them sent to Williamsburg, where I will there pick them up and go on from there a little more prepared. I may decide to ride further North through Pennsylvania, up to Lake Michigan, or I may just head West and follow the Trans Am to a tee.

Any advice for trending North from Wilmington would be massively appreciated. Looking to leave first thing tomorrow, so any advice you could offer by tonight would be superb!!!!

If I fail to get a response I will be following 17 to Jacksonville then head East on 172 and 24 to try and get a place at Cedar Point Campground for the night. I will then look to head on the ferry over to Ocracoke and take the Outer Banks all the way up to Nags Head? Not sure when I'll next have Wifi hook up so look for updates next few days. Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thanking you in advance

Max

Offline DanE

Re: URGENT!!! UK RIDER in Wilmington looking for advice trending North.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 07:42:54 pm »
NC 172 passes through Camp Lejeune Marine Corp Base and has been closed to traffic without the proper identification. You may not be allowed to travel on that road.

Offline simplicity

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:20:06 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. Have phoned ahead to Cedar Point campground so will take 17 upto Jacksonville and just head East from there then. Anythoughts on whether to cycle the entire outer banks up to nags head or get the ferry back to swan quarter and go through lake phelps?

Thanks again

Offline BikeFreak

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:42:33 am »
I suppose you were amazed by extremely heavy traffic and no shoulders

I have two solutions:

1. Go to ACA site and look at the Atlantic Coast maps. Maybe you can see what route they follow:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/atlanticcoast.cfm?pg=detail&s=4

2. Plug in the cities in Google Maps and choose the bicycle option. Have you tried that?

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Wilmington,+NC,+United+States&daddr=Richmond,+VA,+United+States&hl=en&sll=35.536696,-77.113037&sspn=2.976873,6.355591&geocode=FT0-CgIdeqha-ynVrusNovWpiTEyMAmEOElmXg%3BFXXTPAIdcGti-yntyZlXCRGxiTHFPELibT7Yvw&oq=richmond&dirflg=b&mra=ls&t=m&z=7&lci=bike

Lucas

Offline DanE

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 06:31:40 am »
You should cycle up the Outer Banks as this will be the best stretch of shoreline you would see. From Cedar Point Campground cross over to Emerald Isle on highway 58 and ride the length of Emerald Isle. From the north end of the island cross back to the mainland and enter Morehead City. Follow US 70 north out of Morehead City, once past the city this is a remote highway. Turn onto NC 12 and continue to Cedar Island. Ferry over to Ocracoke and continue to follow NC 12 north taking the ferry at the north end of Ocracoke to Hatteras. There are several national park service campgrounds on the OUter Banks as well as private campgrounds. The Bonner Bridge takes you over Oregon Inlet at Pea Island, sometimes if it is very windy I will hitchhike to cross here. Someone with a truck will pick you up knowing that you are just looking to get across the bridge. Once you get to Nags Head and Kitty Hawk you will back into congestion again. Highway 12 is better to ride on than 158 through this area. US 158 is the better way off the Outer Banks if you are continuing north than crossing on 64 at Manteo. Merchants Mill Pond State Park is a good place to camp for the night when you come off the Outer Banks on 158.

Offline simplicity

Thanks DanE, I followed your directions to a tee and now find myself in Kitty Hawk. Will Hope to ride the 80 miles to Millpond Park tomorrow. Ocracoke and the rest of the outer banks have been a beautiful few days riding.

Any recommendations for towns to avoid or pass through while trending north from here?

Thanking you in advance

Offline DanE

I am glad that you enjoyed the Outer Banks, it's a wonderful coastline. My recommendation for traveling to Williamsburg would be to travel to Surry, Va and take the ferry across the James River to Jamestown. Jamestown is on the Trans-am trail but you would need to travel back to Williamsburg on the Colonial Parkway to pick up your maps. This would be much safer than trying to cross the major bridges into Hampton. Jamestown is probably just an hour ride away from Williamsburg so you would not be too far out of the way and the Colonial Parkway is a very nice ride. The area between Merchants Millpond and Surry, Va is rural and although I have never ridden between the two I did look at the route Google maps produced and I think it would be fine. Good luck with the rest of your vacation.