Author Topic: Delaware bike routes  (Read 1294 times)

Offline bobbiedobbs

Delaware bike routes
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:13:22 am »
Looking for north south routes in Delaware for a loop tour, either along the mythical bike Route 1 or others. Will be going both north to south, and back south to north, would prefer not to duplicate. Any ideas? Want on road. Would prefer not the big highways with bike shoulders, scenic if possible, etc. Thanks!

Offline Fred Hiltz

Re: Delaware bike routes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 05:55:19 am »
The Cyclists Yellow Pages here has a great list of Delaware resources. I'd try the bike/ped coordinator first.

Fred

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:50:25 am »
Here are the resources Delaware has listed on their bicycle page of the DE DOT site:

http://www.deldot.gov/information/community_programs_and_services/bike/biking_in_delaware/biking_in_delaware.shtml

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:28:07 am »
Try getting in touch with the White Clay Bicycle Club. A good number of their members tour and ride in Delaware. Did an overnight CC tour with them a few years ago. Middletown, DE to St. Michales, MD and then back via mostly a different route. Nice ride.

Offline botoxcantwink

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 01:40:01 am »
The hardest part of going from the top of Delaware to the bottom is crossing the canal. The best option for this is the St. George's bridge, which has nice bike lanes that were just added a couple years ago. You can also try the Reedy Point Bridge near Delaware City. Alternatively, you can jog out to Chesapeake City, MD and cross on that bridge, which isn't too bad. If nothing else, I believe there is a sidewalk on that bridge that you can walk your bike on. Chesapeake City is a very quaint little town and not a bad little detour. I'd avoid the Summit Bridge, and definitely don't take the Route 1 bridge.