Author Topic: Advice on route selection  (Read 1595 times)

Offline dstromberg

Advice on route selection
« on: May 13, 2012, 07:54:58 pm »
I'm interested in hearing any opinions about the difference between cycling the section of Lewis & Clark route from Bismark, ND to Dutzow Missouri vs Bismark, ND to Dutzow Missouri via the Norther tier route. Both sections start and end at the same points but go through different states. Any feed back about both or one of the routes would be greatly appreciated. I'd be starting about Sept 1st.

Offline indyfabz

Re: Advice on route selection
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 09:48:18 am »
Are you sure the Northern Tier is now going through MO?:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/northerntier.cfm?pg=overview

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:13:55 am »
Are you sure the Northern Tier is now going through MO?:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/northerntier.cfm?pg=overview

Good point, indyfabz. He would need to follow the Great Rivers Route between Muscatine IA and Dutzow, MO.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline dstromberg

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:37:51 pm »
No, perhaps I didn't word it well. The lower section of the mentioned Northern Tier route that I'm interested in following would connect with & include some of the Great Rivers route but I'd still be interested in hearing about the two options that start & end from Bismark, ND to Dutzow, MO. The one following mostly the L & C or the NT.

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:02 am »
The section of the NT between Bismarck and Fargo, ND is new, so I cannot commnetn. I enjoyed the NT route through MN.  Took the "long way" up to Grand Rapid. (Ended up in Davenport, IA instead of Muscatine and crossed into IL there.) While I liked ND a lot and have since been back there to ride, it was nice to see some trees again in MN.  :) Lake Itasca was really nice. You can walk across the Mississippi River there. Camped at a couple of other places on lakes. Saw a bear cub in Malmo and then camped at   Mile Lacs in Isle. Also camped along the river in Palisade. Grand Rapids is the home town of Judy Garland. Went off route a bit and spent a few days in Minneapolis. In IA, the route passes through Dyersville, where the baseball field in "Field of Dreams" is.

Probably not the best route if mosquitoes really bother you. They were a constant issue in most places, including the hostal at Lake Itasca. It was also God awful humid many days, but I suppose the alternate route has some high humidty sections. On the other hand, there were actually a few days when it was on the cool side. We hit Fargo on July 6th, so that would have been early to mid-July.

Offline dstromberg

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:35:31 am »
Thanks for the reply. Do you believe the mosquitoes would be as much of a problem in September?

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 11:17:24 am »
The definitive answer on mosquitoes is, "It depends."  Near lakes, marshes, etc., it'll be a problem until frost.  Unless there's a good breeze blowing.  Up a hill, if it's been dry for a while, they may be mostly gone.  Unless there's good breeding ground for them just downhill of a slop sink, for instance.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 01:30:28 pm »
Everybody has different experiences with DEET, but I have found it to be the magic potion. For me, it can immediately turn a miserable experience into a pleasant one. Just be sure to read the fine print about what materials it eats and what materials it is safe with.