Author Topic: Klamath River to Arcata  (Read 2539 times)

Offline kozel4012

Klamath River to Arcata
« on: May 14, 2012, 03:21:53 pm »
Can anyone comment on the quality of the route from Yreka to Arcata (Highways 96 and 299)?  I'm interested to cycle this in late July.

Ed Kozel

Offline RangerTom

Re: Klamath River to Arcata
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:28:02 pm »
I recall an interesting/fun blog " No Doggie Left Behind " ( I had read a few years ago. The couple - and perhaps a doggie   rode up in that part of California on a bit of Highway 96, a good portion of Highway 3, and a chunk of Highway 96 (part of a longer tour that included Northeastern Calif areas).

Maybe not a lot of real helpful planning info in the blog,  but quite a fun read as I recall!!

Offline cgarch

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:31:33 pm »
Hmm, very high quality as far as I'm concerned. 96 has generally excellent pavement, low traffic and some of the best views around. Supply stops are a tad thin, but from Happy Camp on, they're much better. Plenty of places to camp, the Klamath is drop-dead gorgeous, and there are some good side trips worthy of your time - e.g. turn up the road to Forks of Salmon from Somes Bar for a superbly scenic one lane road hugging a cliff. I have photos posted from a club tour last year here  Wayne's journal is highly recommended as he also covers the stretch of 299 from Willow Creek to Arcata (in 2011) - not the best riding after 96 but what the hey? and here's another one . The only drawback I can think of is that it can get really hot in the river gorges but since you're generally riding downhill, I doubt you'll find it too bad. Searching on Klamath at CGOAB should get you additional results.

Santa Rosa, CA
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:04:28 pm by cgarch »

Offline kozel4012

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:55:39 am »
Thanks to everyone for the encouraging comments.  Last question - anyone have any experience with Shovel Creek road from Klamath Falls to Yreka?  It looks OK and would be much shorter than Klamath Falls-Ashland-Yreka...