Author Topic: Volunteer in Washington, D.C.  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Hancock

Volunteer in Washington, D.C.
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:50:42 pm »
Nearly all of the posts in this corner of the A.C.A. forums appear to be two and three years old, so I don't know whether this area is relevant or active now. If so, I might be able to volunteer in some way in Washington, D.C.

Offline aknjusa

Re: Volunteer in Washington, D.C.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 02:05:29 pm »
I have the same observation as above, and I am in NJ.
Needing users to solve 2 Capchas to post is a bit too paranoid.

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 02:43:54 pm »
I have the same observation as above, and I am in NJ.
Calls do go out from time to time, though. Local knowledge is valuable when ACA is developing a new route or a re-route. Lately, more of that seems to be in the staff blogs. Scan them if you like reading that sort of thing. I have had a lot of fun and no little satisfaction as a long-time volunteer here.

Needing users to solve 2 Captchas to post is a bit too paranoid.
It's only for the first two or three posts. CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) is one of several techniques we use to block forum spam. Apparently, some spam sites actually employ humans to sign up, register, and post when their bots cannot. I cannot imagine making a few pennies per try that way, but slowing them down is enough to discourage them.

All in all, the techniques blocked 603 probes--most by bots--in the last 24 hours, a typical number. One still slips through every two weeks or so to be dealt with by one of us volunteers. We would be overwhelmed without the automated tools, and you would find this place rather unpleasant.

Fred Hiltz

Offline aknjusa

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:51:53 pm »
Where is the staff blog mentioned above?

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:56:33 pm »
Where is the staff blog mentioned above?

The blog can be found here: http://blog.adventurecycling.org/ There is also a link to it from the main Adventure Cycling web page.

As a staffer who writes for the blog, I love having the outlet to share things with cyclists about our maps and routes. It's especially great when I hear back from folks now and again. =)

If after you've taken a peek, let me know if there is something you'd like to know more about and I'll see about getting it into my rotation.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes