Author Topic: Washington State Route 9 from Canada to Seattle area  (Read 923 times)

Offline scarcellagv

Washington State Route 9 from Canada to Seattle area
« on: June 27, 2012, 03:23:48 pm »
I'm starting my Pacific Coast tour in Lynden, Washington (after going up to Canada border and back).  My plan is to use the ACA maps for most of the tour, but was wondering if Washington State Route 9 would be a good biking route.  I need to pass though Federal Way at some point so I thought maybe staying inland might be a good idea.  Also I've ridden in the Whidbey Island area before so I know what that is like.

Does anyone have any experience riding Washington State Route 9, and can provide any pros/cons to this route vs the ACA route in this area?

Also, it looks like I may be able to use the Centenniel Trail in the Snohomish area (which seems to parallel WA Rt. 9).  Any comments about that?

Any other ideas, routes, comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Gary.

Offline johnsondasw

Re: Washington State Route 9 from Canada to Seattle area
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:45:11 pm »

Does anyone have any experience riding Washington State Route 9, and can provide any pros/cons to this route vs the ACA route in this area?

Also, it looks like I may be able to use the Centenniel Trail in the Snohomish area (which seems to parallel WA Rt. 9).  Any comments about that?

Thanks,
Gary.
Centennial trail is great.  I've ridden it several times and enjoyed it thoroughly.  HWY 9 itself is fine, and I've biked most of it, some parts several times.  The problem I've run into there is very fast, rude drivers  who clearly don't think bikes should be on the road.  I've been honked at and flipped off there.  I've ridden many highways throughout the west and this one has been consistently the worst for driver behavior.  Maybe I just had bad luck there.  I'd love to hear what other's experiences have been there.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline scarcellagv

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:07:15 am »
How is WA Rt. 9 in terms of having shoulders?

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 02:04:33 pm »
Mjuch of it is adequate, if not generous (if memory serves me right).  I remember a few places where it was marginal.  A mirror is a must there, IMO.
May the wind be at your back!