Author Topic: route suggestions for a beginner  (Read 1691 times)

Offline miiriiam

route suggestions for a beginner
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:51:52 pm »
I'm thinking about going on my first-ever tour: maybe 300-500 miles, solo, camping along the way.  I'm in east TN right now, but since I've never done any long-distance riding (just commuting...and long-distance walking), I figure I should probably get out of the mountains.  I was thinking about the Outer Banks loop, or maybe going up to the Northeast coast (ME? MA? NY?), but I'm not sure how difficult those routes are.  Does anybody have any suggestions or advice?

Offline Fred Hiltz

Re: route suggestions for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 10:42:45 pm »
A great place to start is the Adventure Cycling How To Department, which covers the general suggestions and advice very well. Have a look and write back with any specific questions that come to mind. This is a wonderful way to travel!

Fred

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:33:14 am »
I'm thinking about going on my first-ever tour: maybe 300-500 miles, solo, camping along the way.  I'm in east TN right now, but since I've never done any long-distance riding (just commuting...and long-distance walking), I figure I should probably get out of the mountains.  I was thinking about the Outer Banks loop, or maybe going up to the Northeast coast (ME? MA? NY?), but I'm not sure how difficult those routes are.  Does anybody have any suggestions or advice?
I don't think you necessarily need to get out of the mountains.  They will force you to pack more carefully and provide nice conditions and good scenery to ride in.   Just pack light, use appropriately low gearing, and ride at a pace and daily mileage that suits you.

I personally much prefer to ride in places away from home myself, but East Tennessee is a great place to ride.

If you want somewhere away from home to ride the Oregon coast is especially nice.  It probably has as much or more climbing than parts of East Tennessee though.

If you really want flat conditions the DeMarVa (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia) Peninsula is nice.  The thing is that anywhere that is flat will generally be windy, which can be worse than the hills.

Offline erniegrillo

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:06:47 pm »
From Washington  DC to Pittsburgh or vice versa on the C&O Canal Trail and Great Allegheny Passage.
400 + miles of history, scenery, great camping, wonderful people and almost all, car free.. 

Offline valygrl

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 06:06:59 pm »
San Francisco to Santa Barbara or LA.  Easy route finding, good airports (Southwest & Frontier have reasonable bike carrying rates), great weather, great scenery, plentiful inexpensive camping, no long distances between services, tailwind, lots of other riders, season is May-October.

Offline roadrunner

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:32:45 pm »
The Natchez Trace, with the north end in Nashville, is a relatively nearby route to you that makes for a nice tour.  It has little traffic (no commercial vehicles) and a 45-mph speed limit.  The north end of the 440-mile route has some significant hills (nothing compared to eastern TN), the southern portion is very flat.

The GAP Trail and C&O Canal trail combine to make a very interesting and scenic tour.