Author Topic: Tent fly  (Read 1999 times)

Offline stewkingjr

Tent fly
« on: August 26, 2012, 01:33:07 am »
I like my tent, but the rain fly could use some help. I've already re-designed it sewing up old sheets. Now i need to transfer to fly material. Since i tour with this tent, the fly material should be light weight, waterproofy, and relatively inexpensive. Be great if it was available in stealthy camo. Does anyone have a source for appropriate material?

Offline Fred Hiltz

Re: Tent fly
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 06:03:37 am »
I just tried a Google search for tent fabric. It returned dozens of likely sources.

Fred

Offline JayH

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:14:49 pm »
Look up silnylon and then see if you can find it in the color you want, camo, dark green, etc.  You might be able to find a distributor for the material in limited fashion. Maybe a place like Campmor or like another outdoors store that you can work with...   

Silnylon is very light and there are single wall tents that are made out of it like Henry Shires...

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 05:14:08 pm »
After you sew it up, be sure to seal all of the seams.  "Waterproof" fabric isn't waterproof at the seams unless you do a thorough sealing job.

Offline goalie

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:47:38 am »
Check out the do it yourself forums on this site. 

www.hammockforums.net

Those guys make a lot of their own gear, especially tarps.

Offline phish814

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:08:57 pm »
You should definitely check out www.seattlefabrics.com they've been where I've gotten alot of stuff for projects as they have a pretty good selection of outdoor fabric and pretty decent prices.  if I remember correctly they do have a small cutting fee but it wasn't much for a small order.

Offline Huli

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 10:21:17 pm »
You can use a tape or aquaseal.

I am waiting for my tent poles to be repaired, then I am gonna schmear the entire bottom of my tent with aquaseal.  Too many pin holes to patch! Lol