Author Topic: Ideas from San Fran??? End of tour advice needed please.  (Read 1477 times)

Offline simplicity

Ideas from San Fran??? End of tour advice needed please.
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:03:31 pm »
Hi

I'm a UK rider who is currently coming to an end of a 5000 mile ride across the USA [ East Coast - Trans Am - Pacific Coast ]. The trip has been an amazing trip so far, however, I find myself a few weeks ahead of schedule and have two and a half weeks to spare when I arrive in San Fran at the end of this week. I will no doubt enjoy the city for a good few days but would ask if there are any other rides you guys recommend within range and timeframe of San Fran?

Bit of a complicated one, but here are the variables to consider:

a.) A friend of mine is putting me up in the Bellagio, in Vegas for two nights over the 17th and 18th August, so have to either be able to ride here, or jump on a bus/train from recomennded locations.

b.) My friend will then be flying my bike back with her, as I then have to get to LAX [complicated I know, but tickets were bought before I departed] to fly back home to London on the 20th August.

c.) I really feel like I have seen most of the terrain the country has to admire, the only EXCEPTION being the red deserts of the Utah/Grand Canyon portion of the country. So if any ideas could take me through this section in the timeeframe, that would be an amazing end to the trip.

d.) The more state campsites and fewer 'touristy' attractions the better. After cycling through the charming smaller communities at the heart of the country on the TransAm, the coast, so far has been some what too busy and 'touristy' for me.

The faster the responses the better, thanking you all in advance.

Cheers

PS. One option I am considering is to ride the transport (bike/train) with my bike from San Fran to or near the Vegas area, and then do a mini tour (200-300 miles) around that region, allowing me to ride into the city for the date I need to be there. So any recommendations on tours that are decent in this area would be much appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:20:58 pm by simplicity »

Offline Fred Hiltz

Re: Ideas from San Fran??? End of tour advice needed please.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:34:58 pm »
Here's a plug for Yosemite National Park, containing some of the most spectacular terrain on the planet. Check out the pictures on the Internet, then prepare to still be overwhelmed. There will be lots of tourists in the valley, but if you do it on a bike and stay at the hiker-biker campground at the foot of Yosemite Falls, you can avoid most of them.

Yosemite is easy to reach on the way between SF and Las Vegas.

Fred

Offline tsteven4

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:15:08 pm »
After all those miles you are ready for sonora pass.  It is exceptionally beautiful.

http://www.chainreaction.com/sonora_pass.htm

Utah canyon country can be very hot this time of year.

Offline aggie

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 06:16:06 pm »
Yosemite is a good option but from there to Vegas will be some hot, dry riding.  You may also look at taking the Pacific Coast Route down to Santa Barbara (or San Luis Obispo).  The scenery will be different from what you've already experienced.  You could then catch Amtrak to LA.  At Union Station they have connecting buses that will take you to Las Vegas (and LA Airport).

Offline bobbys beard

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:48:32 am »
i highly recommend heading north along the coast for a week. i biked 9000 (ish) miles last year and the coastal section north of san fran was one of the most beautiful rides i've ever had. in fact i did it twice!! you can get transport to wherever you like from oregon :)

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:06:05 pm »
i highly recommend heading north along the coast for a week.

The coast north of SF is indeed beautiful, but a thing to keep in mind is the wind comes out of the NW in summer, so if you head north you'll be getting a headwind.  If you can swing it, it would be good to start from the north and head south. You can take a bus to Eureka/Arcata and start there.