Author Topic: Route 66 (Part 2) - Flagstaff to Santa Monica  (Read 253 times)

Offline jfinchgo

Route 66 (Part 2) - Flagstaff to Santa Monica
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:39:54 am »
Having completed Part 1 (see our blog at www.2pedalers.wordpress.com), we are getting ready to complete the route beginning late October (around the 25th) with an estimated completion date of Nov. 2nd.  For this segment, we will have a SAG vehicle, so we will have a few more options re: accommodations (still can't convince my wife to camp).  One of those options will be to drive the segment from Needles, CA to Barstow, CA since its 150 miles with virtually no accommodations (although I understand there is a place to stay in Ludlow).

I would love to hear from anyone who has cycled through the LA area, particularly from San Bernardino to Santa Monica, with suggestions on a good route to take through the metro LA area, or where we might find maps/routes that are bicycle friendly.

If you're considering Route 66 as a bicycle adventure, we can highly recommend it.  Our trip from Flagstaff to Chicago was full of great places and fabulous people.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff & Ellen

Offline DMGingrich

Re: Route 66 (Part 2) - Flagstaff to Santa Monica
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 01:07:34 pm »
Hi,
We are starting our final Route 66 segment on Monday, Sept 29 from Flagstaff to Santa Monica.  (3 of us riding unsupported, averaging 50 miles/day.)
I can send you our cue sheet and route notes for the route.  Since it is an Excel sheet, I can't attach it to this post.
I will only have email access until Friday - if you have any questions.  Or again after October 13, after our ride.
We camp - except for a couple motels where there isn't a camping option (Ludlow Motel and Wigwam Motel in Rialto).  We'll be camping near the truckstop in Fenner - bushwacking since there is nothing in the Mojave. 

According to McJerry, the longest original Route 66 section is closed between Fenner and Ludlow - due to washout because of the historic high rains in the Mojave.  We'll check it out in a week...  Might be passable by bicycles.  The SAG could meet you at Amboy.

Dave Gingrich (DMGingrich@aol.com) - Wilmington, DE

Offline milestonerides

Re: Route 66 (Part 2) - Flagstaff to Santa Monica
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:26:13 pm »
I would love to hear from anyone who has cycled through the LA area, particularly from San Bernardino to Santa Monica, with suggestions on a good route to take through the metro LA area, or where we might find maps/routes that are bicycle friendly.

Hi Jeff & Ellen.  I've bike toured from Chino Hills to Joshua Tree so I have options for you to get into Los Angeles.  I've always ridden all through Pomona to Santa Monica on multiple occasions.  Parts of the route stays on Route 66 and parts will take you through the Santa Ana River path.  I have a blog entry of my trip to Joshua tree on my blog http://milestonerides.com.  PM me and we can arrange maybe a call or a web meeting so I can share my desktop so we can explore further.  Thanks.