Bicycle Travel > GPS Discussion

How do you use the Adventure Cycling GPS waypoints?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Fred Hiltz:
One more try, please, Pat. Is your "segment" what we call a section, hundreds of miles long, or is it a map, one of the dozens of little maps printed for each section and 30 to 50 miles long?

Thanks,

Fred

Pat:
Sorry for the confusion - A segment is one map - as in Oregon has 27 maps, and each is 25-35 miles long.  Pat

Fred Hiltz:
Got it! "Adjust the starting and ending waypoints of GPS routes to coincide with map boundaries wherever feasible" will be the first on the list of suggestions we are gathering. Some maps will require more than one GPS route if we keep the limit of 30 waypoints per route. There would be more routes to load into the receiver.

Comments about this from anyone else who has tried it?

Fred

mdxix:
Jennifer & team, thank you for making the map data available electronically. They have been essential for my trips.

I use them differently on each trip, depending on my technical skills and the tools I am using. These are ever changing, as the technology advances and GPS units get more capable. There are also many ideas on this forum how people use these maps—there seems to be endless creative ways.

In that light, the maps are easiest for me to use when they are open & accessible.

You are already using an open GPX file standard that has worked for me with any unit & software. It almost always require me to process it manually in three ways:

* Separate the routes from the waypoints. As Fred and I discussed earlier, the GPX file contains both waypoints and routes. I prefer to keep and manage them separately.
* Coincide the routes with paper map sections, as Pat suggested earlier.
* Calculate the route to follow intended path as compared with the paper map. Many (not all) ACA GPX files have routes that are straight lines between marked route points. Some GPS units can calculate the route internally and some others (like my current Edge 705) cannot. Either way, there is a chance that the calculation will not follow the intended route. Besides, this calculation depends on the map set being used, which may not have all roads, and likely do not have off-road trails.
I am not sure why ACA has some routes with all their details and others without. I hope that the move is in the direction of more details, not less.Good luck with your new adventure.

Fred Hiltz:
Thanks for the good suggestions, Rami. I think we could manage most of them. Comments and a question follow.

--- Quote from: mdxix on August 14, 2012, 12:01:13 am ---
* Separate the routes from the waypoints. As Fred and I discussed earlier, the GPX file contains both waypoints and routes. I prefer to keep and manage them separately.
* Coincide the routes with paper map sections, as Pat suggested earlier.
* Calculate the route to follow intended path as compared with the paper map. Many (not all) ACA GPX files have routes that are straight lines between marked route points. Some GPS units can calculate the route internally and some others (like my current Edge 705) cannot. Either way, there is a chance that the calculation will not follow the intended route. Besides, this calculation depends on the map set being used, which may not have all roads, and likely do not have off-road trails.
I am not sure why ACA has some routes with all their details and others without. I hope that the move is in the direction of more details, not less.
--- End quote ---

1. Some of the waypoints in the ACA files mark the route and some mark points of interest like campgrounds, museums, and motels. We have discussed separating these, and could do it easily.

The Garmin mapping software and most GPS receivers--but not the Edge series--when told to navigate by following roads, will calculate additional intermediate routepoints to show the path along the roads. I do not know any way to separate these routepoints from the waypoints except the manual editing of the GPX file that you described earlier. If you know a program that can do this, please let us know too.

Which of these do you mean by "separate the routes from the waypoints"?

3. The inclusion of routepoints or not in the published files is a matter of accident. It depends on whether the Garmin software is set for straight-line or follow-the-road navigation when we prepare a file. The question never came up until you alerted us to the road-following limitation of the Edge. I think we can arrange to include routepoints in future additions of the files.

For those considering a new GPS receiver, we continue to recommend the models intended for long-distance navigation (Vista, GPSMAP, "Western states") rather than those intended as training aids (Edge). Their larger capacities and ability to follow roads when navigating off the prepared routes make them more useful for touring.

Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version