Author Topic: Tour Divide 2013  (Read 9886 times)

Offline linshepard

Tour Divide 2013
« on: August 14, 2012, 12:07:55 pm »
Hello fellow adventure seekers!  In preparation for the 2013 Tour Divide, I am looking to connect with people who have already completed the tour, or are participating in the 2013 Tour.

For those who have previously completed the tour: I plan to camp 95% of the time so I'm specifically interested in hearing of people's experiences with food storage.  Did you find it necessary to take a bear canister with you?  Is there any particular obstacle you had to overcome that you would like to pass on helpful information about?  Any advice is appreciated!

For those who are also tackling the Divide for the first time:  It's always nice to share the excitement with someone who is preparing for the same adventure!  I would love to toss around ideas or information with anyone who's willing!

A little background on myself:  Although this is my first bike tour, I have completed many solo backpacking trips in the past.  From my experience, I know I can handle the mental part of the trip, from loneliness to those occasional moments when one feels like they might want to give up and go home.  I cherish any opportunity to see the natural beauty Earth has to offer and, without a doubt, the Divide won't dissapoint!  To prepare for the endurance part of the Tour, I am starting small, biking 2 hours 3 days a week and 4 hours on Saturdays.  I plan to add hours each week until I can comfortably bike 100-120 miles each day I am out. (100-120 miles is my daily goal for the Tour itself).

Happy trails!

Lindsay

Offline John Nettles

Re: Tour Divide 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:50:18 am »
Welcome to the cyclotouring world!  My comment has to do with your anticipated daily mileage while riding the GD.  Doing an average of 100-120 miles per day is exceedingly difficult, i.e. on the range of the top Tour Divide Racers.  That amount is a significantly difficult goal.  You will have to ride about 15-20 hours per day.

Are you sure this is what you want to do?  If so, and you are capable of it, great and I wish you a have a wonderful time.  If not, you may want to reevaluate your daily mileage goal.  Remember, a rough rule of thumb is you will ride about 65% on gravel of what you would do on pavement.  If it is muddy, it can drop much more.  Remember, the majority of people doing the GD do less than 50 miles per day.

Your training schedule is a good start.  Adding weight and/or packs to get the full effect.  If you can do a three-mini tourtour averaging 120 miles on gravel 90% of the time, you should be good to go.  Otherwise you might be pushing it.

No matter what you do, I wish you an enjoyable trip!
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline linshepard

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:02:58 pm »
Thanks for the info John!  I will definitely reevaluate my milage goals as I only wish to ride 12 or 13 hours a day max!

Offline Mayol

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:47:34 pm »
Hi!

My name is Jaime and live in Stockholm Sweden. I will ride tour Divide 2013.
I am training after a program that Mattias Reck have made for my preparation.

;D

Offline Mayol

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:29:53 am »
And my goal is to make it in 16 days;)

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:18:56 am »
If you can do it in 16 days, I say go for it.  Try to look up and see the scenery occasionally  ;D
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:57:32 am »
Wouldn't 16 days be a new record?

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:12:13 pm »

Offline linshepard

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 11:38:29 pm »
Wow Jaime, that's an awesome goal!  Best of luck with your training program and the race  :D

Offline Johnny.Birtalan

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 10:38:35 am »
Hi all,

Just came across this thread.....

My name is Johnny and I am from London.

I have only just heard about the TD a few days ago but I wanna do it in 2013.

I have no mountain biking experience but some cycling experience.

In 2011 I rode across the USA on a single speed bike and it was an amazing experience, I think the TD would be incredible and even tho I fear the bears in Montana I am very keen to get it done.

I would be aiming to get it done in 17 days but I have no experience in cycling off road, so would appreciate any advise you all have on training.

Also with clothing, is it best to get warm clothing for the first half on the race and then get new clothing to suite the warmer weather as I head south? Not really sure on how is best to tackle the snow.

Also if anyone around Europe is going to be doing any weekend, or three day long tours in preparation I would love to hear from you, maybe I could join also.

Cheers,
Johnny

Offline eadidas

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 09:16:11 am »
I have been riding at least 12 hours a week in the saddle and several fast MTB rides mixed in one or two every other week if not each week. Also riding at Rays Mtb park in Cleveland Ohio after my morning ride. I'm not sure how training will change this winter. I'm a little worried. Cleveland winters can be difficult. So swimming and cold cold rides. Everyone I talk to has a different opinion of how to train for this. My goal is to have fun as I push it. I only have 35 days off from work including travel time to and from the divide. I also psych myself out at least once every other week! I already have my gear from previous camping so I'm as ready as I can be with gear. Here we go! Good luck break a leg all!!!!

Offline newfydog

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 02:23:41 pm »
I have no mountain biking experience but some cycling experience.

I think the TD would be incredible and even tho I fear the bears in Montana I am very keen to get it done.

I would be aiming to get it done in 17 days but I have no experience in cycling off road, so would appreciate any advise you all have on training.

If you have no MTB experience you might not make your for a 17 day goal.  That is world class riding.

Don't worry about the bears.  Youtube search "moose trampling"

Offline newfydog

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 12:25:03 pm »
Also, for those of you new to the trail and race, the main forum is over at bikepacking.net.

The 2013 preparation thread is up and going:

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,2648.0.html

Offline StevenMartine

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 11:16:34 pm »
hello hello, I finished the 2012 tour divide, and what a great race it was. I had some mechanical trouble in the beginning of the race, which put me dead last, then I spent the rest of the time catching up to the other cyclists, and finishing 43rd overall. Not a bad first time (if i say so myself).....
the forums on bikepacking.net are a great resource for the race. I read everything I could for the year I prepped for the race.

I do think that a sub 20 day race is / will be a phenomenal race. The guy who set the record pedaled an average of 170 miles a day to finish in 16 days.
I pedaled between 65 (bad mechanical days) and 170 (my longest) each day, with an official average of 96 miles a day, and that took everything I had. Don't underestimate the amount of climbing, its uphill all day/everyday.....and the monotony of it will grind on your brain.
I averaged about 16 hours a day on the bike, since I knew I wasn't going to win (LOL) i opted for regular sleep, about 6 hours a night. I spent approx. every 4th day in a motel, the value of a shower cant be overlooked.
I did come up on one grizzly, almost wet myself, but he(she) took off like a shot as soon as my squealing brakes locked up. I did carry "bear spray" and had my hand on it the second I saw the bear. On camping nights, a couple times there were metal bear boxes, other times, I put my bike/food about 100 yards from where I was sleeping. It was never an issue, never woken up by hungry animals.....LOL

This year I will be pedaling towards Mexico again, my goal is 22 days, based on about 125+ a day. I will use the same gear as 2012, but am moving to a titanium frame and rigid fork (last year was carbon hard tail and suspension fork)....the change up will (in theory) help my climbing...
I used and purchased the lightest of everything I could find, my entire rig weighed in at 44 pounds in Banff.....I think it will be close to the same this year.
I hope that helps....Look forward to meeting you and everybody in Banff in June..... happy pedaling and keep the rubber side down!!!

Offline linshepard

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 06:42:22 pm »
Way to go Steve! Thanks for the info; sounds like you had a great time :D Glad to hear you didn't have any issues with food and animals. I had been debating whether or not I should take a small bear canister but think I will settle on using odor reducing bags and placing my food far from my tent as you did. Have fun getting ready for this years race and good luck with your goal of 22 days!