Author Topic: Linking TransAm (W>E) to Katy Trail back to TransAm  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Flynn

Linking TransAm (W>E) to Katy Trail back to TransAm
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:06:07 pm »
We are heading to CO so we have a bit of time to figure this out.  Heard from many westbounders the Katy Trail is a nice way to go while avoiding the rollercoaster ride in the Ozarks.

Does anyone have advice on how to link the two trails together?  How to get onto the Katy from the TransAm and how to get back onto the TransAm from the Katy.

Thanks!

Offline John Nettles

Re: Linking TransAm (W>E) to Katy Trail back to TransAm
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:58:13 pm »
I have two "west side" routes.  Both connect on the eastern side in Clinton, MO at the western terminus of the Katy Trail.  One departs the TA in Rush Center, KS and the other Girard, KS.  Both are the end of a map section.  If you want, contact me privately and I can send you a cue sheet for either or both.

John
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline yumadons

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 05:44:48 pm »
I'd be interested too John.

We're doing the same thing in a few weeks and our tentative plan is:

Leave TransAm @ Rush Center (actually we stay in LaCrosse, KS overnite) > Great Bend > Lyons > McPherson > Hillsboro > Strong City > Lebo > Garnett > La Cygne > Butler, MO > Clinton, MO

We're moteling it the whole way at a slow pace, I've called ahead to make sure there's lodging in all these towns. My husband will be driving the route in the next few days so I'll post back here if he finds any glitches. We're not getting back on the TA - going south on the Mississippi River Trail in St. Louis, heading to South Carolina.

Maybe we'll see ya out there - we're leaving Pueblo Sept 2.

http://bicyclelife.topicwise.com/doc/yumadons1

Offline yumadons

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 12:09:40 am »
<< Leave TransAm @ Rush Center (actually we stay in LaCrosse, KS overnite) > Great Bend > Lyons > McPherson > Hillsboro > Strong City > Lebo > Garnett > La Cygne > Butler, MO > Clinton, MO >>

DH just reconoitered this route in the RV and it's a go. He said many of the roads are shoulderless & some have rumblestrips but they're low traffic.

The one issue is there's a bridge out on H going from Butler to Clinton. Therefore:
Leave Butler on H,
Then BB 3 miles south to 52,
7-8 miles on 52 to Appleton,
Then north on KK for 5 miles back to H,
Then 7-8 miles on K to 18,
Then 16 miles on 18 into Clinton

Offline o2kayak

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:34:22 pm »
This was my route I did this June E to W. I would not do that route again. Truck traffic was heavy.  I would head the shortest and safest way to the TA route.

Clinton, MO. West end of Katy Trail to Harrisonville, MO.
Harrisonville, MO. to Pomaro State Park
Pomaro State Park to Santa Fe Trail Campground Council Grove, KS.
Council Grove, KS. to Herrington, Ks
Herrington, KS to Hillboro Cove Campground Marion, KS.
Marion, KS to McPherson, KS
McPherson, KS to Great Bend, KS.

Kay Trail was a good route.

Illinois have bicycle maps that would be helpful. If you want, contact me privately and I can send you some maps.

Offline yumadons

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 07:48:34 pm »
Apparently there's a Walmart distribution center in Harrisonville, hence the heavy truck traffic. Best to route around it.

Offline Flynn

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:30:09 pm »
We followed John's directions from the transam to the Katy Trail and everything worked out great.  Leaving St. Louis was a problem though.  Planned on taking the Mississippi River Trail but made it over the river but when we got to the part where we were suppose to get on Hwy 3 we could not.  There were  lanes of traffic where various highways converged so we turned back and were going to go all the way back to St. Louis to try to figure something out.  Our other choice was to go through road construction to East St. Louis.  Marshall Law had just been declared there so we did not like that option:)  A VERY nice man who was working construction offered to drive us past the 'bad' parts of the area and we gratefully took him up on his offer:)