Bicycle Travel > GPS Discussion

GPS Data Wish List

<< < (3/3)

mdxix:

--- Quote from: Fred Hiltz on August 23, 2012, 11:13:56 am ---KML? Maybe, if enough members want it for bicycle navigation, this would be worth spending staff time (=money) on.

--- End quote ---
The request here is for open & accessible format. For those interested in KML, there are plenty of tools out there that would convert from GPX—no need to spend any of ACA time or money. That will only work if the GPX file is structured properly.

KML is just one example. There are many other formats that users may be interested in.

I will edit the original post to state this intent of my comment: Test conversion to multiple formats and various online mapping tools

gubbool:

I am working on the route(s) for my next epic trip.  I used the files available in early 2010 for a 207 day, 10,000 mile, 27 state, double crossing of the US pretty much as it was downloaded (just stripping out side trails and alternates) - I found the routing to be very good; the only problem with the data was that my GPS was unable to figure out how to auto-route bike trails.  The waypoint data was used somewhat, but my gps unit knows where to find cheap food, Walmarts for tires and tubes, and ATM's.  I used routes from the ST, AC, TA, LC, NT, SC, WE, GC, ST-again, and Natchez Trace (which is part something).   

First, a suggestion/tip: Keeping waypoints along a route separate from the intermediate points within a route make it very easy to load them as POI's - for conversation, POI's do not consume memory resources like a waypoint.  Generally, the number POI's are unlimited, while newer gps's support >2000 waypoint, Garmin's newest is limited to 4,000.  The current version of my 2013 trip of about 8,000 miles has 9944 waypoints and 264 routes.  New units support only 200 routes so I will be grouping a few of those together.  [And yes, I know how to handle gps data for long trip on an old gps'r.  I paddled around Florida last summer - no routing there, just 1515 miles of waypoints.]

And second - find a decent way to handle trails.  I am planning to ride the GDMBR this spring and Garmin's Mapsource and my gps devices go crazy trying to auto-route the backwoods. Currently, where there is a big problem, I am striping the too few waypoints from routes and deleting the route itself,  This has led to some trust issues.  For example: Waypoint M01B90 at N46.16523 W112.37158 on Google Satellite and auto-routing of that section.  For the GDBMR trail I have the 20 4000-pt tracks from (topofusion) Scott Morris' trip and his related work and do not have any issue there, I will follow the tracks.  However, as I found while bicycling home from Maine in '08 and during my '10 trip, rails-to-trails and local bike paths are difficult to locate/determine when the gps unit finds a nearby road.

Warren
findingwarren.com

Fred Hiltz:
Two excellent points, Warren. Thanks for writing.

--- Quote from: gubbool on December 13, 2012, 06:46:36 pm ---...
First... Keeping waypoints along a route separate from the intermediate points within a route make it very easy to load them as POI's...
--- End quote ---

You ought to be able to do this now, using the waypoints' symbols. All the waypoints that lie on the route (that define the route) use the generic waypoint symbol. Lodging, stores, campgrounds, museums have different symbols.

MapSource can sort the waypoint list by symbol. I do not know BaseCamp well enough to say. You can then load the waypoints you want into the GPSR or into a .gpx file.

--- Quote from: gubbool on December 13, 2012, 06:46:36 pm ---...
And second - find a decent way to handle trails.  I am planning to ride the GDMBR this spring and Garmin's Mapsource and my gps devices go crazy trying to auto-route the backwoods...
--- End quote ---

I'm afraid we are at the mercy of the mapmakers for this one. I notice Garmin's TOPO 24 supplies auto-route data for a few biking, hiking, and rail conversion trails. When they see enough market, they will probably do more trails on maps better suited to cycling.

Meanwhle, I switch to straight-line navigation in these situations. We wrote the ACA data with this expectation. It works pretty well on all but the most contorted trails.

Fred

newfydog:
For the Great Divide, just go to bikepacker or topofusion and find the most recent tracklog.  No need to autoroute or way points when you have a really detailed tracklog.

For a base, go to GPSfiledopot and download the state topomaps.

You will know if you are off route by 100 feet. 

Send me a pm and I'll give you good links and stuff, I'm suffering on a beach in Mexico at the moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version