Author Topic: KHS TR-101. any review?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline kikoraa

KHS TR-101. any review?
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:20:17 pm »
I'm planning to trade my road bike and some cash in for this bike. I'm mainly a mountain biker and have never toured. I picked up my road bike a few weeks ago, put lots of miles in, and decided it just wasn't for me. I have been daydreaming about touring for the longest time but have just always blown my bike funds on upgrading mtb bits and chasing the newest biggest trends. Decided nows the time to just ride/enjoy my mtb and focus on planning a tour.

My buddy, owner of an lbs, is giving me a pretty nice deal on this khs. A few bills off of msrp. I wanted the surly lth since I've heard so much about it but unfortunately it doesnt fit my budget.  Do any of you have experience with the TR101?

Seems like a great build kit. The generic wheels worry me though. Just wondering if anyone's taking this bike loaded and far.

Offline dkoloko

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:36:07 pm by dkoloko »

Offline dkoloko

Re: KHS TR-101. any review?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 08:36:33 pm »
Which is your concern about the wheels, hubs, rims, or spokes? Hubs are house brand, adequate I'm sure, and in keeping with overall quality of bike. Rims are standard. Spokes I suspect are standard 14g stainless steel.

Quality of build is more important than adequacy of these components. If you are not competent to verify quality of build, have someone qualified check this, or at least ride the bike enough before a long trip to affirm rims are not habitually going out of true.

If you are not satisfied with the wheels for whatever reason, they are easily sold and new compatible wheelsets are  readily available.

Be sure to check adjustment of hubs after buying bike. Frequently new hubs are not optimally adjusted, and may be short on lubrication too.

Offline Krizta

Re: KHS TR-101. any review?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:08:39 pm »
Greetings,

I have had this bike for about 5 months and I am so pleased with our compatibility.  So far, I have taken this bike from Santa Monica to Ventura with medium heavy rear panniers.  The ride was smooth and the bike was reliable.  I imagine my rear rack was carrying about 25 lbs but could support more.  I feel really comfortable with the bar end shifters and can go anywhere with 27 gears!  The true test will be next week when I embark on a 700 mi journey with it.  I'll return with a better understanding of how this bike works.