Author Topic: Impromptu opportunity to ride my bike Oct 10th- Late November. Bad Idea?  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Clambert

Hello, and forgive me for being very much a newbie.

I am a somewhat experienced distance rider (several century rides/ smaller rides under my belt) from Kentucky. I have recently been thinking about doing a month or so long bike trip. I am concerned about weather- Namely freezing rain and sub freezing temperatures, and giant mountains/altitude. I would like to plan it so as to end up in a city or state park. I dont have much time to try and plan it before the opportunity passes me by and I was wondering if anybody had suggestions on beginner touring routes/destinations wherein I could potentially stay unfrozen and dry this late in the year.

Offline John Nelson

Re: Impromptu opportunity to ride my bike Oct 10th- Late November. Bad Idea?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 12:13:05 pm »
Start by looking at the ACA routes.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/RouteNetwork.pdf

Pick something in the south. Then go to the ACA page on that route. Most route descriptions will tell you in which months they can be ridden, and will give you some expected weather information.

The Southern Tier is one strong candidate. You can ride whatever portion of it appeals to you. You could use either the Underground Railroad or the Great Rivers route to get down to the Southern Tier, and possibly the TransAm to get to those routes (depending on where in Kentucky you are). Or you could ride the TransAm east to the Atlantic Coast route and then head south.

If you want to fly, you could go to the Southwest and ride one of the many routes there.

Offline Pat Lamb

Re: Impromptu opportunity to ride my bike Oct 10th- Late November. Bad Idea?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 03:50:04 pm »
Start with John's recommendation of the ACA routes, then spend an evening looking at weatherspark.com to check out various cities on the routes.  Look at the averages, and pay attention to the 10% low temps.

I'd head east or south, aiming to get east of Charlottesville on the TransAm by the end of October.  The idea would be to get out of the Appalachians pretty quick -- you can get snowstorms in the mountains by late October.  Going south, you should miss cold weather fairly easily.  You could head south on the Atlantic Coast from Virginia -- but stay off the Outer Banks in NC.  Given six weeks, if you go south, you could go east on the Southern Tier, and perhaps south towards Key West.  If you turn west on the ST, you'd have to push to get across the Rockies, or end your trip around El Paso.

Anywhere but on the gulf coast, I'd suggest you have enough financial reserve to spend a couple nights in a motel.  You can get an early winter storm in November that'll give you some sleet or snow, but it'll probably melt after a day or two.