Author Topic: Frame bags on carbon frame?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Eugenemtbing

Frame bags on carbon frame?
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:30:43 pm »
I am beginning to sort out frame bags for bike packing and have the option of gearing up carbon or steel bikes.  I would prefer using my carbon On-One 29er.  It is stout and light with a good carbon fork.  But are there issues with using bags on a carbon frame?  I am not too worried about cosmetic issues (bikes are to be used), but wonder about other wear and tear issues on a carbon frame.

Any advice?  Thanks.

Offline John Nelson

Re: Frame bags on carbon frame?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 04:13:47 pm »
The term "frame bag" normally refers to a bag that straps to the frame tubes. I would expect this to be fine on carbon frames.

If you are instead referring to panniers that attach to front and rear racks, then I would be careful. If the carbon frame has fittings to mount the rack (probably not), then I would think it would be okay. But I would not want to clamp to carbon, at least not clamp very hard. Lightly clamping to carbon with sufficient padding under the clamps to carry light loads would probably be okay.

All this is just conjecture of course. I don't know of anybody who has done testing of this.