Author Topic: Nifty 50: Seattle to Sun Valley  (Read 713 times)

Offline gkowalski

Nifty 50: Seattle to Sun Valley
« on: January 29, 2013, 12:51:48 am »
I'm planning to ride from Seattle to Sun Valley starting August 1 and ending up at a bar with a pint of Guinness on my birthday on August 22nd.

I'm looking for the best route, and maps, occasionally camping with a motel every once in a while, and country roads.

I will be taking my son, who is 11 and any friends that want to join the adventure.

Where can I get my road maps?

Thanks,

gkowalski

Offline jamawani

Re: Nifty 50: Seattle to Sun Valley
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:02:21 am »
Saving the best for last, I would guess you would like to ride fron Stanley into Sun Valley.  And I would also surmise that you might want to ride over Cayuse Pass via the Chinook Scenic Byway to cross the Cascades.  In between you will be dealing with some hot, hot, hot weather from Yakima to Pendleton and again when you drop down out of the Blue Mountains into Ontario.

A much longer, but cooler option would be to ride via Sandpoint and Missoula.

Offline JMilyko

Re: Nifty 50: Seattle to Sun Valley
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:03:29 am »
Hi gkowalski,

Congrats on your birthday celebration tour!

Depending on the kind of route you are looking to create, you might want to start by taking a look at the routes we have mapped to see which parts you could potentially use:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/network.cfm

Once you get to that page, in the right side navigation bar there is a link called Map of All ACA Routes that is a download of a pdf that clearly shows our network and how it intersects with itself.

The next step is to get in touch with the bicycle coordinators for the states in which you will be traveling through and need routing. Many have online resources as well as printed materials. Nearly every state publishes a bicycle map of some sort that they will send out for free and the coordinators often have more information they can distribute for no charge as well. And while the maps aren't as detailed as ours, they generally offer suggested roads for cycling through their state. Here is a link to the contact information for all of the bicycle coordinators:

http://www.walkinginfo.org/assistance/contacts.cfm

Once you have an idea of the routing you'd like to use, post it here and see if others have some feedback for you about it.

I hope this helps.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes