Author Topic: Tablets/IPad or laptops  (Read 4918 times)

Offline bogiesan

Re: Tablets/IPad or laptops
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 11:05:25 pm »
This topic comes up often around here. I have this to say: I carry my phone on tours because it seems prudent. I have always carried a journal so it comes along, too. I do not go solo nor do I go self-contained so I really dn't care about GPS or advanced functions on the phone. I no longer take many photos becasue I have found the thousands I already have never get looked at anyway. I carry a paperback and one magazine and replace them as necessary on the road. I have found music with earphones to be more isolating than enjoyable. I like to send postcards because they are so much fun to receive.

Mostly, when I'm on a bike tour, I'm on vacation. From as much as possible.

I've seen people run their businesses from their bikes, every reest stop and camp is a chance to check in and make decisions. It's sad and I hope someday they can get away, really get away.

The challenge of bicycle touring with minimum electronics is worth attempting. You may find it liberating. You may find it disturbing and unsettling. Try a few days with just your phone and then try a few days fully plugged in and up.

I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline sspeed

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 02:27:02 pm »
I've been debating this topic as well.  I don't want a laptop or tablet along to blog or check email or anything like that, I can see wasting way too much time doing that and missing out on other cool opportunities.  I just want to save a GPS log of my entire ride and upload it every now and then.  Call me nerdy, but I love being able to go back and look rides over from that perspective.

I have a Garmin Edge 500 and I'm not sure (I'll have to check, maybe it has much more capacity than I realize) that the memory would support 3-4 days of 6-10 hours of riding without clearing it out.

I guess I also have a Garmin eTrex Vista HCX that supports a memory card and I could record out to that instead, which would solve my problem.  It also has better routing functions if I wanted to supplement the paper maps.

Offline Gif4445

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 05:11:19 am »
On my tour to the Black Hills, https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=11208&v=Fw , I used the voice recorder on my Iphone extensively.  I tend to forget pretty easily, even when updating a journal daily.  This worked very well.  I used an Ipad 2 to write the journal.  It was ok, but not without challenges.  I found using the keypad to be better than expected after getting used to it.  A laptop or possible folding keyboard would probably be an improvement, but the iphone/ipad option was lightweight.  On CGOAB, I had to be a little creative with the Ipad.  When writing  a lot of text, I soon found out there was no scroll option or arrow down feature on the Ipad. (at least I was unaware of any)  Finally found if I used the copy function and enlarged the copy box, I could move down text that way.  I used my Iphone for photos and emailed them to myself, downloaded them to my Ipad and then to my journal.  Could probably take a shortcut with the correct wiring or whatever, or get a good camera and go direct from camera to Ipad.  But again, would have to bring along more stuff.  Of course the Iphone and Ipad use the same lightweight charger.  And I have been happy with most of my photos.  I understand all of you that make a point of getting away from technology on your tours.  Especially those of you that use it a ton on the job.  However, it was important to me to have a functional journal to share with my friends and family who wanted to follow my ride.  And for me to re-live the journey from time to time.

Offline sspeed

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 08:49:54 am »
Another nice lightweight option for journal-type emails is a bluetooth keyboard.  I have one that connects to the droid phone and ipad that actually makes typing bearable.  It probably wouldn't make blogs with photos much easier.

Offline Gif4445

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 10:27:47 am »
Yes sspeed, I considered and looked at some bluetooth keyboards.  Keeping it lightweight, I could have taken my Iphone and the keyboard.  Actually, the Iphone works better for a lot of things than my Ipad, if I wanted to leave the Ipad home.  I wouldn't have to have Wi-Fi and there would be no need to download photos either, as they would already be on the Iphone.  But the size of Iphone screen is an issue, as was the added weight of the keyboard if I took Ipad and bluetooth keyboard.  My daughter just informed me yesterday that I could get a virtual keyboard for $200.    http://www.hammacher.com/Product/81759?cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=AdWordsPLA&source=PRODSEM¬

Offline Gif4445

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 10:36:52 am »
Also sspeed, you mentioned wanting a GPS log of your trip.  I unknowingly had that, or something close, when I chose the location function on the camera application of my Iphone.  It showed a map of all the places I had taken a photo.  I took enough pictures along the way that it made for a nice bread crumb trail, with info on location, date and time of day I believe.