Author Topic: Winter touring in Canada  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Shane

Winter touring in Canada
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:35:58 am »
My trip in Africa is coming to its end and for my next trip I'd like to explore the other end of the thermometer.

Anyone got any thoughts on routes that are possible with a fully loaded bike, 2.1" studded tires and a wimpy Brit?

My idea would be something like Toronto to Calgary in 2-3 months then pick up part of the Great Divide in spring for a month, by which time the freedom credits will be gone and therefore time to work again  :-[

Naturally I don't do major highways such as the Trans Canadian Highway, though will need compressed snow secondary roads/trails.

Thanks

Offline pptouring

Re: Winter touring in Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:29:42 am »
Shane I thought you were taking some time off to recharge your batteries.  :D

Offline Shane

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:35:43 am »
A change is as good as a rest right?  :D

This is for next winter, I'm going to do some short trip in Europe soon after getting back to reccharge my batteries. 8)

Offline geegee

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 03:48:16 am »
There are no alternatives to the Trans Canada Highway through Northern Ontario, even in the summer. The only other route is the railroad, which the railway company absolutely forbids access to. Blasting roads through the tough granite hills of the Canadian Shield has been one of the hardest and costliest links in the country, and I would not take crossing that landscape lightly in the dead of winter.

Offline Shane

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:10:14 am »
Thanks Geegee,

That could be a problem, I need to get a hold of some maps and google maps time when I have real internet again. I doubt the main roads would have the shoulders cleared in winter which could be a problem...

Winter camping is my new project, we'll see how Sweden/Finland goes in Feb before I make any big plans.

Offline Eastman

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 07:05:17 am »
This might be a start: http://tctrail.ca/