Author Topic: What kind of bike?  (Read 6245 times)

Offline DaveB

Re: What kind of bike?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 03:52:42 pm »
Shops typically make most of their money on service, accessories, and parts not bikes so there is no reason for them to turn away business.
It's not often the shops that are the problem since, as you noted, they make most of their income on service.  The problem is with the customer who brings in his Bikes Direct "bargain" and is then shocked at how much the shop has to charge to make it operate properly.

Other than major failures that BD is pretty good about rectifying, most of the complaints I've seen are with poor set up and adjustment as received.  Yes, they may be no worse that the bikes delivered to a bike shop but the LBS customer never has to deal with the needed set up as it's included in the price.  With a BD bike, if the new owner isn't skilled enough to do what the shop does for their own bikes, he will pay them for that service separately and it won't be cheap. 

Offline newfydog

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 10:45:24 am »
Of the ten Bikes Direct bikes I have assembled, I have yet to reposition a front derrailleur,  and frequently don't even have to adjust the indexing.  I have trued one wheel.

If local bike shops are charging large sums to get those bikes working properly, they are ripping off their customers.

I went through college working in bike shops.  I'm sorry to say there are some bad ones out there.  I have had to bite my lip listening to the lines fed to customers.  Those shops will be all over a mail order bike.

Fortunately, bike shops are usually staffed by great people.  If you can't do very basic adjustments on a bike, make sure you have one of those shops. 

If you have a good shop, or your skills go beyond plyers and screwdrivers, a Bikes Direct bike is half price.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 12:23:35 pm »
If local bike shops are charging large sums to get those bikes working properly, they are ripping off their customers.
I agree.  Of the 5 Bikes Direct bikes I have experience they came from BD needing no more attention than any other new bike I have dealt with.  They only needed the normal basic assembly and sometimes a tweak or two in normal adjustments.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 09:21:21 am »
I agree.  Of the 5 Bikes Direct bikes I have experience they came from BD needing no more attention than any other new bike I have dealt with.  They only needed the normal basic assembly and sometimes a tweak or two in normal adjustments.
You guys appear to have been lucky and also have the skills to do your own initial assembly and adjustments.  I'm a regular on another Bike Mechanics forum and there are routine threads on serious problems with BD bikes as delivered.  Most of the problems are fixable but not by an unskilled new owner. 

Offline newfydog

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 12:23:29 pm »
What sort of problems?  I honestly have not seen any, though a statistical set of 10 bikes is small.  I'd be curious to know, because I keep recommending them to friends.  Got a link?

The threads on mbtr are pretty positive:
http://forums.mtbr.com/motobecane/

http://forums.mtbr.com/motobecane/mike-bikes-direct-actually-listens-suggestions-766122.html

And specifically:
http://forums.mtbr.com/motobecane/motobecane-warranty-experience-positive-negative-post-here-709219.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:30:32 pm by newfydog »

Offline DaveB

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 08:01:19 pm »
What sort of problems?  I honestly have not seen any, though a statistical set of 10 bikes is small.  I'd be curious to know, because I keep recommending them to friends.  Got a link?
Link: http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/10-Bicycle-Mechanics¬

Offline newfydog

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 10:57:49 am »
Got anything more specific?  I searched the forum for "bikesdirect" and bikes direct and couldn't find anything.  Not trying to be augmentative, I'm genuinely curious , because the company has been a real find for us and our friends.

Send me a PM if you have the time...I hate to clog up this thread any more!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:59:15 pm by newfydog »