Author Topic: Timing and weather  (Read 4910 times)

Offline John Nelson

Re: Timing and weather
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 08:30:37 pm »
Maybe that's because places with tougher terrain also have fewer good places to stop.

Offline zzzz

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 09:58:57 am »
Hi:

I'll add one thing to the East/ West part of this discussion.

I took a recent trip similar to this and started in the west. You will be leaving earlier in the year than I did so your days will be longer but do yourself a favor and look up sunrise / sunset times for where you intend to be and when you intend to be there. And plot a couple of places in each state because it varies by an hour across the time zone.

I left from the west figuring every place I've lived the winds were generally from the west or southwest and over the course of the trip they were marginally more with me than against me. But I like to leave early in the morning, particularly when it's hot, and did not feel comfortable leaving until at least 9 AM because I was riding directly into the rising sun. This was especially true out west where there is no tree cover.

I've always felt that drivers that can't or don't see you are are the one's most likely to take you out.

Pete

Offline jamawani

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 03:09:07 am »
Well, I lost my longer reply to the netherworld.  So, I'll be super concise.
Six cross-country trips in both directions. 
Wind is a wash - maybe a tiny advantage W to E.
So the main thing is temps and weather.

June 15 to Aug 31 -
Hot in the Plains in eaither direction.
Chilly in the West, Dog Days of August in the East if W to E.
Pleasant in the East, warm in the West if E to W.
(August is fire season in the West, wildflowers in West peak in late June.)

BTW - June riding is nice with long days.  By Sept days are rapidly shortening.

Offline Rick.in.AZ

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 09:24:15 am »
Thanks Jam.  I am starting to think E-> W is a better option - need to consult my riding partner (Sister). She wants to to the Pacific to Missoula, but is concerned that if I go the other way, timing the "meet" would be a challenge.

On the other hand, it sounds like going that way, the weather stays kind of constant - which is a good thing. I would then do Start June 8th; Finish ~ Aug 24.

decisions, decisions........

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 10:27:57 am »
I would then do Start June 8th; Finish ~ Aug 24.
That is probably OK, but starting in the east, if earlier in an option I would consider it.  Personally, if my schedule allowed it I would probably choose to start May 1 for an E-W TA.

Offline Rick.in.AZ

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 11:06:19 pm »
1st of June is the earliest I can start, but my sister thinks E to W may fit her sked better, so it is starting to sound viable. So either direction may work.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 10:28:26 am »
Sounds good.  Have a great trip!

Offline MarkM

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 06:30:35 pm »
Greetings Rick.

I finished the TransAmerica trail in August. I chose to leave home [Mesa Arizona] on June 1st, flying to Eugene Oregon. On June 2nd, I went to Florence where my Surly LHT was ready and waiting at a bike shop that I had shipped it to several days earlier. I rode back to Eugene for the weekend and left eastbound from there on June 5th only to get snowed on crossing McKenzie Pass. That's a little unusual for that date but it can and did happen. About an inch of wet slushy snow and 37 degree temps. I was froze by the time I got to Sisters.  But what the heck, what doesnt kill you will just make you stronger. I would recomend West to East. Some people say it doesnt matter as far as winds are concerned, but I think it work in my favor on my trip. A few cool/cold nights for the first 7-10 days but a good sleeping bag and proper cycling clothing made it very comfortable traveling for me. I had a Shower Pass touring jacket that worked well under all wet/cold conditions. By the time I reached mid Wyoming it started to warm up. Lots of sunscreen and liquids. The Rockies were beautiful. Perfect conditions, occasional rains, pleasant temps. Once I got as far as Pueblo, the heat was on. Hot all the way across the plains. Humidity rose the farther east I went. Very hilly through some sections of Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky and Virginia. Do learn to carry plenty of fluids. Over all, It was the best vacation I've ever had in my lifetime. Easy days, challenging days, feelings of accomplishment. Everything I needed.

Mark

Mesa, Az.

Offline Rick.in.AZ

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 09:47:21 pm »
Mark,

Thanks for the info - we should talk as I am also in Mesa, about the same age, and gee, I have a son Mark M (but he lives in LA).
I left you a PM

Rick