Author Topic: Google biking maps  (Read 1155 times)

Offline mikefm58

Google biking maps
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:34:29 pm »
Has anyone else looked at a new feature from Google called "Google biking maps"?  It's currently in beta status so I'm a bit hesitent to use it, but I mapped a few trips around here in Orlando, and it seems pretty good.

Offline shendershott@gmail.com

Re: Google biking maps
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 08:43:23 pm »
I use Google bike maps quite a bit. Here's what I do.

I choose my locations based on distance for a day. Recently I rode 600 miles from central NJ to 150 miles north of Montreal. I picked each days end (about 75 miles) and found a reasonable place to stay. Then I clicked on get directions (for bike) between each stop. I then went through the directions one step at a time and clicking on the yellow person icon to see a photo of each turn (where available). The interface walks you through each leg of the directions very nicely. I make adjustments to the route as I see roads that are not suitable. Then I print out the turn by turn directions and use them (in a plastic map case on my front bag) as I ride.

I've done this a few times and it has served me well. It's a great starting point and can easily be modified.

Steve

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:27:52 pm »
It's not new. It's been available for over two and a half years. I really like it for getting short distances in town, and often use it to get to a host house. But it's awful for intercity travel. It gives you a route with a million turns, many of which are onto unnamed and undescribed paths, routes you onto unpaved roads and sometimes even onto rugged hiking trails.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:41:11 pm by John Nelson »

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:31:37 pm »
Agree with Josh. Another thing it sometimes does is route you out of your way to put you on bike paths, sometimes for short distances.

One time out of curiosity, I asked for directions between two points on the Trans Am route. Can't remember the starting point (maybe, Wisdom, Dillon or Twin Bridges), but the end was W. Yellowstone. The rotue was remarkably different than the ACA route. As Josh describes, it chose a remote route with many miles of unpaved roads and very few (if any) services).  I suspect that's because it's not considering the needs of the self-contained cyclist. That type of route is fine as long as you know what you are getting into and can prepare properly with things like sufficent water and nourishment. But if that's not your thing, you have to scrutinize the chosen route with care.