Author Topic: Pueblo to Yorktown only- best months?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline PaulSantaRosa

Pueblo to Yorktown only- best months?
« on: October 29, 2012, 09:34:35 pm »
My situation is a little different from most- I did a 4000 mile loop around the western US and Canada in 1976, getting as far east as Pueblo Co. Recently it occurred to me that if I rode to the east coast from Pueblo I would have completed the transcontinental ride.  I'm confident that I can do it in a couple of months or less. My wife will drive sag, so it will be as easy as it gets.

So my question is, what months are best for that part of the route? Looking at average temperatures and rainfall it looks like April-May is good, but I have never been to any part of that route, so I have no first hand knowledge of conditions. Any advice?

Thanks,
Paul from Santa Rosa, CA

Offline John Nelson

Re: Pueblo to Yorktown only- best months?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:40:42 pm »
Depends on whether you tolerate heat or cold better, and whether you will be spending your nights indoors or out. I think I'd go for May-June rather than April-May.

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:51:40 pm »
Late April thru early June is prime tornado season in Kansas.  While the chances of you actually being in a tornado are small, the chances you could be in a wide-spread severe storm with 1+ inch hail is definitely there.

If you are good at reading the weather, are willing to listen to the locals, and willing to ride or not ride accordingly (not chicken out just due to the "chance" of severe storm), you should be fine.  However, do not blow off the warnings and be familiar with the county you are in and listen to the radio and locals.  Be especiallobservantnt for the weather overnight if hail is included as your tent will not protect you from 1+" hail.

Once you get to central Missouri, the tornadic weather lessens (but does not go away completely).  I would think the starting on or after May 1st would be pretty nice if you are eastbound.

In all seriousness, enjoy the ride!
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline PaulSantaRosa

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 03:23:49 am »
Thanks for the replies. I will read up on Kansas-style tornadoes and hail, didn't know that spring was tornado season. If conditions are bad I'll just wait it out in a motel. The temperature data I have is pretty consistent across the whole route, daily high of about 65 in April, 75 in May, 85 in June.  I think it's easier to cope with cold weather than hot, so I'm inclined to go earlier. The rain data shows more inches later as well.  Attached is a photo from my tour in 76. It's 12000' Independence Pass in the Rockies in mid June. I think Kansas is more my speed these days.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 08:57:30 am »
If you deal with cold weather better than hot, you might want to go with that April-May time frame.  Although I was generally chilly up on the Blue Ridge Parkway this June, that was unseasonably cold temperatures.  It alway seems like blazing hot is more likely in June than freezing cold in May.  (Although the southern Appalachians have frozen in May in the last 10 years...)

If you make it to Damascus, VA by the middle of May, you've got a great chance at seeing one of the most spectacular rhododendron displays.  The Virginia Creeper trail through town is like riding through a tunnel of beautiful pink blossoms.  And at the end of the block you can turn left and get a good meal, too!