Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

Advice needed!!!

<< < (2/4) > >>

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: geegee on November 01, 2012, 01:19:44 pm ---For water, I carry a collapsable bag such as the ones from MSR. I have the 4 litre version, and it along with two water bottles is enough for me to get through the hottest and driest stretches. I strap it on with bungie cords on top of the stuff on my back rack, and when there is plenty of water available I just roll it up and tuck it inside my pannier. For a night of camping in the wild, it holds enough water for cooking and a bit of washing up.

--- End quote ---

I like the Platypus 2+ liter one pretty well.  I like that it can stand up and I find the capacity about right for my needs.

FWIW extra capacity is easy to add in the form of recycled sport drink bottles or bottled water bottles.  The nice thing with those is that you carry them when you need them and discard them when you don't.

I also do not think a filter is needed on the TA, but for routes where one is, I really like the Sawyer Squeeze better than any others I have tried.

scooper:

if you start west to east by the time you get out of colorado you'll be able to send home the heavy clothes home because if you're leaving june 10 by the time you get to ks. you'll be riding in 90's. might want to have something to block sun.

indyfabz:

--- Quote from: John Nelson on October 31, 2012, 10:01:07 pm ---2% of first-time bicycle tourists underpack, 10% pack just right, and 88% overpack. Don't worry too much about underpacking. Read some of the equipment lists over at crazyguyonabike.com and here on this site to get ideas.
--- End quote ---

Heh. I might go even higher than 88%. Nearly everyone on my first tour (cross country with a group of 12) mailed something home within the first week. My favorite was the woman who mailed home her blow drier and her Sony Watchman TV.

There is also a "how-to" section on Adventure Cycling's web site.

BikeFreak:
Hi,

I did the Transam + Western Express this summer.
Water: People are different. I, for instance do not need a lot of water to keep going. For emergency, I brought a water bag, filled it a few times, but never used it. I relied on my 3 1 litre water bottles and rarely used the 3rd. I also bought plenty of Gatorade and Sodas along the way.

Packing: I myself don't like the cold - I'm more for warm climate. This means that I rather quickly start using a hat already in fall time when "normal" people don't. On this trip a brought a full set of merino wool underwear which I never used. Thus, I overpacked. Only out of fear I never sent the merino wool home because I believed it would get colder in the mountains: It never did. My down sleeping bag was only 650 grams and just perfect. Overall, the Transam passes through some of the warmer states unlike the Northern Tier.

On this trip I had 2 credit cards (emergency) and 1500 dollars at the beginning of the trip. That worked absolutely fine - I never had to worry about finding ATM machines. Using hard cash you are more in control of your spendings.

Contrary to many other ACA routes, the transam has many free camping possibilities. Especially many city parks in Kansas but also churches in the East. However, when you have to pay for a private campground such as KOA, it is daylight robbery. KOA campgrounds for instance a between 30 and 40 dollars with absolutely no discounts for cyclists. Remember that many motels offer rooms for 40 dollars which is perfect if you are two riding along.

Bike Hermit:
If you have no previous bike touring experience I would highly recommend doing one or more short trips, even if just overnight, to work out the details of how to pack and how to do things. And basically, the same stuff you take on a week long trip will suffice to ride across the country imho.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version