Bicycle Travel > Gear Talk

sleeping bags

<< < (6/6)

dkoloko:

I'd just hate to see someone believe comments earlier in this thread that the new synthetics are lighter and/or pack smaller than a good down bag.  That is just not true.  Comparing similar quality bags rated at similar temperatures:

* Down will be lighter by a large margin
* Down will pack smaller again by a large margin[/quote]

"New synthetics are lighter and/or pack smaller than a good down bag". ???? Wherever you got that, it not something I would say.

I do disagree with your statements above "by a large margin". I would say by a small margin, too small in my experience to be worth my using down bags again.

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: dkoloko on December 10, 2012, 05:01:29 pm ---
"New synthetics are lighter and/or pack smaller than a good down bag". ???? Wherever you got that, it not something I would say.

--- End quote ---
I got that from your previous post where you said:

--- Quote from: dkoloko on December 08, 2012, 04:57:08 pm ---My experience is much different from your comparison of your down bag and catalog description of synthetic bag. My down bag weighed nearly twice my synthetic bag; I keep just as warm in the synthetic bag and bulk is less.

--- End quote ---

dkoloko:

--- Quote from: staehpj1 on December 11, 2012, 04:55:14 am ---
--- Quote from: dkoloko on December 10, 2012, 05:01:29 pm ---
"New synthetics are lighter and/or pack smaller than a good down bagNew synthetics are lighter and/or pack smaller than a good down bag". ???? Wherever you got that, it not something I would say.

--- End quote ---
I got that from your previous post where you said:

--- Quote from: dkoloko on December 08, 2012, 04:57:08 pm ---My experience is much different from your comparison of your down bag and catalog description of synthetic bag. My down bag weighed nearly twice my synthetic bag; I keep just as warm in the synthetic bag and bulk is less.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

That is creative reading. I stated my experience with a down bag compared to synthetic bag that replaced it. I did not say, what you posted, that across the spectrum, "New synthetics are lighter and/or pack smaller than a good down bag".

bogiesan:

--- Quote from: driftlessregion on December 09, 2012, 09:43:19 pm ---If I were using panniers that use covers (in other words, not Ortlieb type that are water proof) or used a crummy tent I would go with synthetic. With a BOB dry bag and a good tent I've never had a wet bag and thus can take a down bag.

--- End quote ---

Prudent to carry several heavy duty garbage bags as basic safety equipment anyway. Easy to protect anything in net panniers with a couple of bags. Like the ubiquitous bandana and the (now less-ubiquitous) film canister, heavy duty garbage bags serve many other purposes, too.

bikeman:

--- Quote from: RussSeaton on November 16, 2012, 12:28:28 pm ---Three season synthetic?  Synthetic are great when you have unlimited space and a motor to carry your gear.  Car camping for instance.  When you have to carry the gear with your own muscles and have limited space like panniers or a backpack, DOWN sleeping bags are the choice.  Small and traveling on your bike with a synthetic sleeping bag?  Good luck.

--- End quote ---

If your a sweating or perspiring person or your tent has condensation problems your down bag will accumulate the moisture, become heavier and less effective keeping you warm. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version