Bicycle Travel > Gear Talk

sleeping bags

<< < (2/6) > >>

SpokedSTL:
I'll be heading out to do the TransAm in early may. I'm going east to west coast.

How low should I go on my temp. rating? How cold of nights/mornings has everyone experienced?

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: pdlamb on November 16, 2012, 01:51:51 pm ---That said, I'm eagerly waiting to hear from somebody who's tried one of the new "coated down" bags to see (a) if they live up to the waterproof hype, and (b) how long the super-duper-water-repellent coating lasts in the field.

--- End quote ---

Are you asking about the bags with a DWR shell or the new treated down.  If you are talking a DWR shell I can comment on that.

Pat Lamb:

--- Quote from: staehpj1 on November 16, 2012, 03:49:02 pm ---
--- Quote from: pdlamb on November 16, 2012, 01:51:51 pm ---That said, I'm eagerly waiting to hear from somebody who's tried one of the new "coated down" bags to see (a) if they live up to the waterproof hype, and (b) how long the super-duper-water-repellent coating lasts in the field.

--- End quote ---

Are you asking about the bags with a DWR shell or the new treated down.  If you are talking a DWR shell I can comment on that.

--- End quote ---

I'm more curious about the treated down, like Sierra Design's Dridown.  I say "curious" instead of "interested" because I'm not sure it's worth a new bag to save half a pound or so.

John Nelson:

--- Quote from: SpokedSTL on November 16, 2012, 03:13:27 pm ---I'll be heading out to do the TransAm in early may. I'm going east to west coast.

How low should I go on my temp. rating? How cold of nights/mornings has everyone experienced?

--- End quote ---

32 degrees F is likely the coldest you'll likely see, and you probably won't see it that cold more than two or three nights. It depends on where you decide to camp. If you decide to camp in Guffey or Fairplay or Breckenridge, Colorado, it might get nippy up there. You might also have a cold night in Virginia (although probably not more than one). Personally, I wouldn't necessarily plan my gear around those few nights.

Westinghouse:
I used a 15 or 20 bag from Slumberjack on the southern tier in the dead of winter. It was just fine. It needed to be covered with a tarp when outside exposed to the elements with a cold wind blowing. However, I use only a 10 by 12 tarp for shelter anyway, so there was always one handy. The bag cost about $65.00.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version