Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

Step thru frames

<< < (3/3)

John Nelson:
I'd say that there's a 90% chance that this bike will make it, without changing a single thing. I wouldn't even bother getting new wheels. Is 90% good enough? If the bike breaks, she can always stop by a WalMart and buy another one, for less than the cost of getting new wheels.

Make sure she rides this bike on enough long rides before she starts (with her gear) to be sure it'll be comfortable enough. To me, that's a much bigger issue.

adventurepdx:

--- Quote from: John Nelson on November 19, 2012, 01:08:41 pm ---Make sure she rides this bike on enough long rides before she starts (with her gear) to be sure it'll be comfortable enough. To me, that's a much bigger issue.

--- End quote ---

Very good point. Is there anywhere nearby that can be a good overnight camping destination? Can she go on a short tour (3 days or so) before the big one?

RussSeaton:
I have no problems with the frame of the pictured bike.  Its strong enough to make it through a tour.  Looks like oversized aluminum tubing.  My problem starts with attaching racks to it.  It does not look like there is a rear rack mount on the seatstays.  So you may have to get creative to attach a rear rack.  Maybe one of those Old Man Mountain rear racks that don't need traditional rack mounts.  And the suspension fork is not something I would want.  And mounting a rack to it will require the Old Man Mountain rack.  These are expensive racks.  High quality but expensive.  Budget was mentioned as a concern.  You could go with a rear rack only and tour ultralight.  But that costs.  I'm kind of favoring going with a different bike.  A used touring bike should come with racks already installed.  Might be able to get it for not much more than the Old Man Mountain racks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version