Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

Step thru frames

<< < (2/3) > >>

Pat Lamb:
It might work, although there's a vicious circle on the horizon ...

When I look at a seatpost rack with no other struts for support, I think "Very light loads only."  (I think my daughter's seatpost rack has a 25 pound limit.)  That's fine for inn-to-inn touring.  But then you say she doesn't have a lot of money, and I think camping.  But that typically weighs a lot.  Unless she goes for ultra-light camping, but then you're talking gear that starts to get expensive again.

pzyduck:
Yes you right. The rack is gone. A frame mounted one will replace it. As are the wheels. I told her she needs 36 spoke double wall rims. I am more concerned about the frame.

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: pdlamb on November 18, 2012, 09:09:05 pm ---Unless she goes for ultra-light camping, but then you're talking gear that starts to get expensive again.

--- End quote ---
Not necessarily.  I think my full ultralight kit was about $1000 dollars for bags, camping and cooking gear, and basically the whole works.  It includded a lot of fancier than necessary gear.  That number assumes that you already own the clothing basics, a bike and a rack.  That was for a pretty crazy light outfit (12.5 pound base weight).  For not all that much more weight I listed some alternate gear that would lower the total cost to $300 and would still be acceptable.  That particular list was for a tarp and bivy setup, but you could easily swap that for a Eureka Spitfire 1 tent at the same cost.  I think you could still be under 20 pounds base.

Check out:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Ultralight
In particular the ultralight on a budget section.

adventurepdx:
pzyduck, my two cents: I'm a big proponent of "ride what you got", especially if you have no choice. And I understand being broke.  She might get through the ride with not a lot of major issues and have the time of her life. People have toured on worse.
Or, she may scrap the ride after a week because of discomfort and mechanical failures, and never want to tour again.

You're already talking about replacing wheels, and show concern for the frame. With all that, I would advise getting a different bike. It doesn't have to be a brand new touring bike, there are plenty of good used deals out there that wouldn't set her back that much. Is there any local bike co-ops around her? She may be able to get a good deal and learn how to work on her bike.

DaveB:

--- Quote from: adventurepdx on November 19, 2012, 10:07:22 am ---You're already talking about replacing wheels, and show concern for the frame. With all that, I would advise getting a different bike. It doesn't have to be a brand new touring bike, there are plenty of good used deals out there that wouldn't set her back that much. Is there any local bike co-ops around her? She may be able to get a good deal and learn how to work on her bike.

--- End quote ---
+1 on getting a more suitable bike.  You have the classic "silk purse out of a sow's ear" situation. If you are going to change the wheels and racks and prehaps provide suitable touring gears buying a more suitable bike used or via a co-op may not cost any more and will give a much more suitable foundation.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version