Bicycle Travel > Routes

Suggestions for route from Vancouver, Canada to join Trans-Am Please?

<< < (4/6) > >>

adventurepdx:
I like the Northern Tier route, too, but I wouldn't sell the Trans-Am short, at least the Oregon section from Eugene to Hell's Canyon. Quite a bit of mountain passes as well. No "four passes in four days" like the NT, but there is the "three passes in one day" section from Prairie City to Baker City. McKenzie Pass is great if you time it so you can cross it, and the Painted Hills country near Mitchell? I don't think there's anything quite like it on the NT through Washington.

So to complicate things, I'll throw out yet another routing option: Head south from Vancouver BC and pick up the Sierra Cascades route and take that until you intersect with the Trans-Am route in Central Oregon. I haven't done all of SC through this area, just parts (Sierra Cascades overlaps the Northern Tier from Sedro-Wooley to Twisp).

Options, options. A lot of things to think about.

irc:
I cycled from Vancouver to Boston in 2009 using sections of the ACA Northern Tier and Transam routes. I wouldn't change anything on the route I did.

Glasgow - Vancouver direct flight.  Two ferries to get from Vanouver to Anacortes.   I linked the Northern Tier east of Glacier National Park to the Transam at Yellowstone National Park via Route 89. Other than 10 or 15 miles south of Great Falls 89 is a superb cycling road. Recommended.

I took 80 days. If time is short you can save a few hundred miles by finishing in Washington DC instead of Boston. The GAP Trail and C@O Canal towpath take you right into central DC on an off road trail. I returned from Boston to the UK with Aer Lingus.

PK:
Continued thanks for all of the suggestions.  Mindblowing number of choices!

Thanks for the trail info irc, since I am (said with confidence!) going on an old mountain bike it would be rude not to do the odd trail.  I have been looking at the website (found in a post here on ACA) that lists some of the offroad options. The C&O goes directly past the only place I have ever been in the states, where the only people I know in the states live,  near Harpers Ferry, so would be great to put that in there somewhere.  Also quite keen on the Kettle Trail as a route out of Vancouver but the other options sound great too!

Need to work out exactly what links with what and start being more organised in my research but the next step on Monday is going to be approaching boss #2 with a theoretical situation where an employee might disappear for say a month...or three. Wish me luck.  :)

John Nettles:
I think IRC's idea of doing the San Juan Islands from Vancouver is an excellent one.  They are great for biking, mostly car free, and very pretty.  You could always go the Lake Erie Connector (Canada side of Lake Erie) if time is short.

Ah choices, choices, what are you to do?

irc:

--- Quote from: PK on November 23, 2012, 04:41:29 pm ---Continued thanks for all of the suggestions.  Mindblowing number of choices!

Thanks for the trail info irc, since I am (said with confidence!) going on an old mountain bike it would be rude not to do the odd trail. :)

--- End quote ---

Don't miss the KATY Trail then. A flat route (former railway) across Missouri which is otherwise a lot of short rolling hills.  It follows the bank on the Missouri River some of the time which is a nice experience. Often routes following rivers or lakes are out of sight of the water as the water's edge is private property.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version