Bicycle Travel > Routes

Suggestions for route from Vancouver, Canada to join Trans-Am Please?

<< < (2/6) > >>

PK:
Thank you so much for the rapid and extremely helpful answers, as I have noticed is the norm on this forum.

--- Quote from: John Nelson on November 19, 2012, 12:01:05 pm ---If you're flying with your bike, I don't think I'd favor taking three separate planes as it just increases the chances of damage to your bike in transit.
--- End quote ---

Thanks John, after reading a few threads and links to other sites about the handling of "luggage" and knowing how stuff can accidentally end up on the wrong flight, I wanted to make the flight bit of the trip as uncomplicated as possible. This left me with the option of either Vancouver or San Fransisco.

--- Quote from: adventurepdx on November 19, 2012, 12:09:07 pm ---PK, how much time do you have to play with?
--- End quote ---

At the moment, none.  I have 2 jobs, one boss who is a bit of an eejit (I'm self employed).  Hopefully the other boss will be sympathetic and give me 90days (the max for us without a visa) or unsympathetic and give me a lifetime vacation!  The plan is to approach them with a basic plan outlined so they can see that I am not on an almighty skive.

The glacier route sounds brilliant, though I am not exactly a svelt or accomplished cyclist.  4 passes in 4 days might leave me crying into my cup of tea but this is supposed to be an adventure so appeals greatly.  I will leave that thought whirling around my noggin whilst I investigate all of the many other alternatives suggested.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, they have got me out of by wondering rutt.  I will no doubt be back with further questions if you can stand it.

Cheers
PK

Pat Lamb:

--- Quote from: PK on November 19, 2012, 01:38:00 pm ---The glacier route sounds brilliant, though I am not exactly a svelt or accomplished cyclist.  4 passes in 4 days might leave me crying into my cup of tea but this is supposed to be an adventure so appeals greatly.  I will leave that thought whirling around my noggin whilst I investigate all of the many other alternatives suggested.

--- End quote ---

The good news, part one, is that the grade rarely exceeds 6%.  I think the absolute worst grade was 8% going east from Tonasket for 3/4 mile.

The best news is that half of the mountains is downhill.  Whee!

tsteven4:
We did a combination Northern Tier/Trans Am from Mount Vernon, WA to Boulder CO this year http://tsteven4.qwestoffice.net/gallery/index.html?albumid=5769994076092330785&si=1.  We left the NT at Colville,WA, and picked up the Trans Am in Missoula, MT (Spokane, Plummer, Wallace, Thompson Falls, St. Regis).  A feature of this route is the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes http://friendsofcdatrails.org/CdA_Trail/index.html.  There is also some beautiful riding in the Palouse region of WA.  We took a bit crazy route over Dobson Pass in ID to Thompson Falls and were rewarded with a liter of foxes, a herd of elk, a moose, and countless bald eagles.  I could fill out of few details of some very nice but somewhat obscure roads we found if you are interested.

On the other hand, Glacier NP is highly recommended as well and that route is well documented by the ACA.

John Nelson:

--- Quote from: PK on November 19, 2012, 01:38:00 pm ---4 passes in 4 days might leave me crying into my cup of tea but this is supposed to be an adventure so appeals greatly.

--- End quote ---
I hate to break this to you, but there are no easy routes. Four passes (actually five) in four days in Washington is definitely hard, but it's not that far out of the norm. The only flat parts of the TransAm are in eastern Colorado and Kansas. Everything else is hilly. Reverse your thinking. Plan to be in shape to do those Washington passes, and the rest of the trip will take care of itself. Losing some weight and getting into shape will make your adventure so much more enjoyable.

PK:
Haa thanks pdlamb, downhill, the robust cyclists friend.  :)

--- Quote from: tsteven4 on November 19, 2012, 05:27:03 pm ---I could fill out of few details of some very nice but somewhat obscure roads we found if you are interested.
--- End quote ---

That sounds excellent, if you have the time to do that it would be great. 

I really enjoy smaller trails and obscureness.  That looks like an excellent route which I will spend some more time investigating.  Thank you for sharing it.

--- Quote from: John Nelson on November 19, 2012, 05:31:19 pm ---I hate to break this to you, but there are no easy routes.

--- End quote ---

Thats good, I would like it to be a challenge and most look forward to the changes in scenery, temperature, altitude, road conditions etc, if it was all the same and easy it wouldn't be such a wonderful adventure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version