Bicycle Travel > Gear Talk

less usual but very helpful road bike components, tools, and accessories

<< < (2/3) > >>

danieljndube:
Thanks. Zip-ties have been added, grateful for the reminder. My mirror assertion has been rephrased to acknowledge how personal is the choice. Right now, I have a Take-a-Look on my helmet and the Ortlieb at the very end of my drop, with both mirrors set vertically. For years, I went without any.

Your question, Tony, reminds me of the Robinson Crusoe question popular among academics: "Of all books, which would you take with you if you knew you'd be left on a deserted island?" In fact, I am facing just this scenario both with books and with bicycles, as I am to enter service in the Peace Corps.

Perhaps the expected choice, I have to say the Brooks. Whether or not I ship a bike out (and one will be issued), the Brooks will be in the luggage. I can ride anything that's given me contentedly and for a long time, as long as that's my saddle. Were it not for my B17 Narrow, I'd no longer be cycling.

However, I will also be taking with me a pair of friction shifters with Paul's thumbies (mountain bike issued), should I not be shipping out an LHT.  Those would be Shimanos for unquestionable simplicity and reliability, leaving Silver/Dia Compes Stateside.

Lastly, Lake shoes with rubber grips and dual-platform pedals might be included, if there's room, or at least Gripsters (never liked clips). The Fiberfix, zips, and a replacement derailleur hanger will certainly make it along with other items of minute size and weight, such as quality levers. The trusty Lezyne floor-drive pump will more than likely make it, especially given its feather weight.

But to pick one--the Brooks. And to pick two, the friction shifters.

Dan (Maine)

litespeed:
I'd add Gorilla Tape - sold in any hardware store. It is a sort of super duct tape - very strong, durable and so sticky that it is hard to peel off the roll and requires some care in applying. It is great for patching tents, sleeping bags, the bags they come in and attaching most anything to anything.

I'd also add a small multitool, mainly for the pliers. That rare stuck valve nut can be a real problem.

DaveB:

--- Quote from: litespeed on December 02, 2012, 11:35:56 pm ---I'd also add a small multitool, mainly for the pliers. That rare stuck valve nut can be a real problem.
--- End quote ---
The lightest, smallest and cheapest tool I know about that has useful pliers is the Swiss Tech Micro.  As a supliment to a regular bike oriented multi-tool it is extremely useful and much better built than it's price would indicate.  I've carried one for years on my key ring and it has proved its worth many times over.  Here's one source but I've seen them at Target also:

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Tech-MMCSSS-Micro-Max-Multitool/dp/B001AY2WLU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354548641&sr=8-3&keywords=swiss+tech+tool

danieljndube:
Dave B, I think it's time I start expanding the list beyond a nifty fifty items, if slowly. Yes, I have often wondered why few cyclists carry pliers, as there's no other way to make significant corrections to cables. I myself carry the Leatherman Squirt PS4, and I have marveled at its quality. Will put both that and the Swisstech in the post per your review. Thank you for the suggestion.

Dan

danieljndube:
Thanks Litespeed, for the Gorilla tape and pliers suggestion. I'll put a tape post for the traditional three: black electrical, duct tape, Gorilla tape. How do you carry yours? I've heard many carry the latter two kinds of type on pieces of plastic straws, or broken pencils, rather than on a full roll.

Appreciate the notice on stuck valve nuts.

Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version