Bicycle Travel > Gear Talk

Bike box / carrier

<< < (2/2)

AdventureRide:
BikeProUSA makes several different travel cases, both hard shell and soft cover.  I've used their tandem case with good results.  Noticed several other manufacturers with a quick interweb search.  None are cheap and you do have the mentioned problem of storing your case (if it's not a disposable) until your return. 

nun:

--- Quote from: AdventureRide on January 14, 2013, 04:32:29 pm ---BikeProUSA makes several different travel cases, both hard shell and soft cover.  I've used their tandem case with good results.  Noticed several other manufacturers with a quick interweb search.  None are cheap and you do have the mentioned problem of storing your case (if it's not a disposable) until your return.

--- End quote ---

With a non padded bag like the Tardis it's easy to fold the bag up and strap it to the back rack, put it in a luggage locker, leave it at your hotel or mail it to yourself at your final destination. You have to use your other gear as padding or improvise with locally sourced cardboard, but you don't have the hassle of dealing with the extra bulk once you're done with the bag.

o2kayak:
Question on the Tardis bag. Will the bike fit in the Tardis bag with bike racks still attached?

nun:
I don't think so. When I flew to the UK I had a rear rack and I simply undid the rack at the drop outs and pivoted it so that it laid along the seat stays. There's lots of room in the Tardis (duh) so you could easily pack any racks inside the center triangle. I use all my gear and bags for padding around the bike and just carry on my handlebar bag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version