Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

Bicycle Touring vs Backpacking

<< < (5/9) > >>

Sean T:
18 lbs!  My Jansport external frame pack, loaded with gear but no food or water, weighed about 50 lbs. After I loaded up with food and water from a post office drop it was around 70 lbs.  By the time I got to the High Sierras I'd worn out the soles of my new boots and the frame broke. 

I sure didn't gain any body weight either on that trip!

18 lbs. would be heaven.  So would a bike tour, with 0 lbs.

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: Sean Thomas on February 06, 2013, 07:30:39 pm ---18 lbs!  My Jansport external frame pack, loaded with gear but no food or water, weighed about 50 lbs. After I loaded up with food and water from a post office drop it was around 70 lbs.  By the time I got to the High Sierras I'd worn out the soles of my new boots and the frame broke. 

--- End quote ---

That sounds miserable.  I don't think that I would go on a backpacking trip if it meant having to carry 70 pounds.

It really isn't very hard to go light.  I can get to under 7 pounds base weight if I don't need a bear canister or a lot of extra clothing.  It doesn't even require using fancy cuben fiber stuff or much high dollar cottage industry stuff.  In addition to the lighter load, I also like having a simple minimal kit.

Sean T:
That is definitely the way to go.  With feather weight like that my aging knees and feet might actually be able to handle backpacking again.

Dr. John:
Is it just me, or do many (especially young, testosterone filled men) try to inversely correlate pack weight with physical endowment?  :)  Still what a pleasure it is to fall asleep in your tent at night with so few possessions and know that is all it takes to be truly happy.

Sean T:
 ;)  Indeed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version