Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

Bicycle Touring vs Backpacking

<< < (2/9) > >>

johnsondasw:
I've done a lot of each, and can't really name a "best". One big advantage to biking is you can get whatever food you want every day.  To me, that's a big plus.  Backpacking, especially combined with scrambling/climbing, offers special thrills that biking can't.

jamawani:
Why not both?

I have toured extensively in the West with a moderate weight 2-day pack which allows me to go on extended wilderness hikes of 3 to 4 days by hiking light.  I've had the concession service take my bike up from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows a couple of times and have hiked up the John Muir Trail.  I shuttled my bike at Grand Canyon and have then hiked rim-to-rim a half dozen times - not to mention out-and-back hikes.  I've hiked Bryce Canyon, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier, Waterton, Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Mount Robson, North Cascades, Kluane, Wrangell-St Elias, and Denali.  All while on long bike tours.

There is no need to choose.

Pic - Backcountry camping on Upper Athabasca River in Jasper NP

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: jamawani on December 08, 2012, 01:13:10 am ---I've had the concession service take my bike up from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows a couple of times and have hiked up the John Muir Trail.

--- End quote ---
Do they officially offer that as a service or is it a matter of asking nicely and hoping for the best?

BTW, that sounds like a great way to enjoy Yosemite.

jamawani:
At Yosemite there is no shuttle, you have to go by the concessioner's office and beg nicely.  It would be better to go directly to the office of the warehouse manager than the "main" office as each employs persons with different mentalities.  The latter will say "Impossible!" while the former is more likely to say, "Yeah, we can toss it in a truck."

At Grand Canyon these is a shuttle during the summer season, but technically, they don't offer bike shuttle service.  You need to arrange to have your bike stored on the other end and have all the loose ends tied up - then meet the van departing with everything ready to go.

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: jamawani on December 08, 2012, 09:58:31 am ---At Yosemite there is no shuttle, you have to go by the concessioner's office and beg nicely.  It would be better to go directly to the office of the warehouse manager than the "main" office as each employs persons with different mentalities.  The latter will say "Impossible!" while the former is more likely to say, "Yeah, we can toss it in a truck."

At Grand Canyon these is a shuttle during the summer season, but technically, they don't offer bike shuttle service.  You need to arrange to have your bike stored on the other end and have all the loose ends tied up - then meet the van departing with everything ready to go.

--- End quote ---

Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version