Bicycle Travel > Gear Talk

Cheap Breathable Rain Gear and Shelter

<< < (2/4) > >>

driftlessregion:
I love it. I googled Tyvek rain jacket and tent and came up with this and lots more:
http://gossamergear.com/wp/tips/tip-of-the-week-make-a-hooded-tyvek-rain-jacket-and-chaps-for-under-10

Pat Lamb:

--- Quote from: driftlessregion on December 16, 2012, 11:12:29 pm ---I love it. I googled Tyvek rain jacket and tent and came up with this and lots more:
http://gossamergear.com/wp/tips/tip-of-the-week-make-a-hooded-tyvek-rain-jacket-and-chaps-for-under-10

--- End quote ---

The graph halfway down the page shows why I don't think too highly of any of the breathable fabric jackets.  Put into the words of this skeptic, it says, "If you start with 30% relative humidity (which we call 'a sustained drought' in the southeast), these jackets keep you dry inside for no more than 15-20 minutes of effort before sweat overwhelms the fabric."   That's a fairly short hill, at a low pace, on a bike, to correspond with the walking in the test.

Since I've already got a couple of pretty good cycling jackets, this is academic for me.  I do wonder, though, how the Tyvek outfit will work on the road.  How will it hold up?  How will it perform at the end of the third cold and rainy day?  Will it trap odors like the first generation of polypropylene clothes and reek?  Perhaps most importantly, how will it affect social interactions?  Will the locals see the wearer as  hobo on a bike, or be just as another crazy cyclist in a wilder than usual get-up?

paddleboy17:
I have a 12 year old Gortex jacket that I truly love.  What makes it such a joy to use is the zippers that the were sewn in for ventilation.  This is what makes the jacket comfortable over such a great range.

Granted urethane coated nylon next to bare skin gets pretty gross pretty quickly.  Gortex next to bare skin is not bad.

So your budget creation needs ventilation.

JayH:
I made a footprint for a Kelty tent once, I believe a place like Campmor sells it that you can cut to size. I don't remember if they sell it by the yard or in
 some kind of packaged length but you can always call and ask.  Do be aware that Campmor sells some stuff in their retail store not available via mail
order.

Jay

Westinghouse:
I have two Gore-Tex jackets. One is the Summit series and costs about $450.00 or so. Both are too heavy for a long bike tour. Why spend hundreds of dollars for a result you can get for ten or fifteen dollars? The same with the stove. It is only four metal sides with a fan and conduit. Why spend $80.00 when you can make one easily that weighs much less for much less money in no time?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version